Kihon happo Kaeshi waza

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has any references or documentation of techniques or tactics/strategies regarding this theme? That is Kihon Happo Kaeshi (counters).

One of the few things I've found on the internet is this: http://youtu.be/mNi4NB3t8B8

The Kaeshi is not a set of predetermined moves, since it is supposed to be improvised, but it's easy to just end up wrestling instead of using proper technique.

So, what is your take on this subject? Preferably with some reference or documentation.

I am not looking to start another thread of what's working or not in real life, there are enough of those already. I just want to hear different options.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I looked around online and found this gem from Arnaud Cousergue:

http://kumafr.wordpress.com/2010/05/23/kaeshi-waza-the-ura-of-the-omote/

I also know in most if not all of Hatsumi Sensei DVD's that there is kaeshi waza. (I encourage everyone to get them for your library)

Countering techniques think of how useful that is for a self-defense or personal protection situation. Quite often you will be the one operating after an initial attack. Your already behind the 8-ball so to speak and your opponents action is faster than reaction. How do you negate the initial disadvantage. On many if not all of Hatsumi Sensei DVD's you will see early on Martial Art of Distance. Controlling and maintaining the distance is essential. We can do this before an attack, during an attack and after the attack via footwork and movement. Locking in a counter and then moving or simply taking what they are giving us, keeping it in place on us and moving.

What I personally find even more fascinating is the counter to the counter or the variations within. I liken it to chess in having lots of counters and different possibilities from them! ;)

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you could ever get to my house I have some great private training video clips with Shiraishi Sensei on this topic. Love for someone else to check them out as they are just sitting there.

OP
K

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any links to any online seller of Hatsumis DVD's?

And thanks for the offer to come to your house :) I don't know where you live, but if I ever get the chance I might take you up on that. I live in Norway myself.

Edit: I read from your profile that you're in Vegas. I'm definately going to Vegas sometime in my life, so I might look you up :)

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this guy is any good. However he does sell a home study course for Ninjutsu. I think he is associated with the Bujinkan.
http://www.ninjutsu.com/shihan-van-donk.shtml

There is controversy as always when it comes to home study courses, after all you will never be able to substitute a teacher in person, ever. In my opinion at least :D

However I imagine he would cover Kihon happo Kaeshi waza.

I did find his manual once on the 9th kyu material. I had my friend who is trained in Bujinkan check it out. He said it was accurate, of course I learned more working with him then I did from the book though.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not buy Van Donks manuals or home study courses. Not what you need or would want. However he does sell dvd's by Hatsumi Sensei but I imagine that there is a European person selling them and that would save you a lot on shipping and handling. Ask your instructor and I am sure they can point you to someone closer. If not then Van Donks site sells and delivers very effectively!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have any links to any online seller of Hatsumis DVD's?

And thanks for the offer to come to your house :) I don't know where you live, but if I ever get the chance I might take you up on that. I live in Norway myself.

Edit: I read from your profile that you're in Vegas. I'm definately going to Vegas sometime in my life, so I might look you up :)

Any time your in Vegas definitely look me up.

OP
K

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Any idea which dvd's by Hatsumi is the most worthy of my time and money? I' ve found that he has released a ton of dvd's, and I could easily run into thousands of dollars on the quest for something useful. Might as well spend that money to go to Japan and ask him ;)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Any idea which dvd's by Hatsumi is the most worthy of my time and money? I' ve found that he has released a ton of dvd's, and I could easily run into thousands of dollars on the quest for something useful. Might as well spend that money to go to Japan and ask him ;)

If travel is at all an option it's your best bet. You'll learn a lot more studying with an actual Shihan, then fumbling on your own with DvDs. Still I know where your coming from and if travel is not an option DvDs give you something to work with. Not sure what area of town your in, but have you tried to search for Bujinkan near you? Might be surprised. You may only have to travel 4 or 5 hours. I would recommend at least talking with someone close and see if it's possibly to maybe go up for a weekend every couple of months.

That's my two cents anyway.

OP
K

KydeX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If travel is at all an option it's your best bet. You'll learn a lot more studying with an actual Shihan, then fumbling on your own with DvDs. Still I know where your coming from and if travel is not an option DvDs give you something to work with. Not sure what area of town your in, but have you tried to search for Bujinkan near you? Might be surprised. You may only have to travel 4 or 5 hours. I would recommend at least talking with someone close and see if it's possibly to maybe go up for a weekend every couple of months.

That's my two cents anyway.

I train under a Shihan were I live, with several shidoshi as well, I am just looking for some reference material to study on my own time outside of the dojo. But thanks for your advice anyway.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well when I recommend Hatsumi Sensei DVD's the two I feel everyone should have in their library are Kobudo No Kihon and What Is Martial Arts! Now there is some countering in them but maybe not as much as others. I will have to pull out my DVD's and look through them. I will say I like the Densho series because they show a glimpse into regular classes.

Latest Discussions