Kids Taster Sessions...Feedback

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas to make the tasters interesting, both on the forum and by e-mail.

Thursday last week was the first of my planned taster sessions.

We had 7 kids turn up, and they all seemed to enjoy themselves.

Of course, the bottom line is, how many will actually come back and sign up for the beginners course?

Tonight was the first class of the course, and somehow the numbers had swelled to 12.

We had a big variety of suggestions, some things we already did, some great new ideas, and some things we used to do but just seemed to have dropped off the list, which we have revived.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Les

M

meni

Originally posted by Les

I want to thank everyone who gave me ideas to make the tasters interesting, both on the forum and by e-mail.

Thursday last week was the first of my planned taster sessions.

We had 7 kids turn up, and they all seemed to enjoy themselves.

Of course, the bottom line is, how many will actually come back and sign up for the beginners course?

Tonight was the first class of the course, and somehow the numbers had swelled to 12.

We had a big variety of suggestions, some things we already did, some great new ideas, and some things we used to do but just seemed to have dropped off the list, which we have revived.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Les

Try board breaking kids love it and a lot of sparring!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by meni

Try board breaking kids love it and a lot of sparring!
Hold on there chief! You should not just dump kids into board breaking. You really have to consider their ages and physical development. You could really damage a five year old by having him attempt breaking. You should really develop their technique and confidence levels before you even think of breaking. The basis for me saying this is that the hand does not reach advanced development stages until about 16 years old. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you ahve to be very carefull and work to that slowly.

M

meni

Originally posted by Seig

Hold on there chief! You should not just dump kids into board breaking. You really have to consider their ages and physical development. You could really damage a five year old by having him attempt breaking. You should really develop their technique and confidence levels before you even think of breaking. The basis for me saying this is that the hand does not reach advanced development stages until about 16 years old. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm saying you ahve to be very carefull and work to that slowly.

seig,
I agree, however also when the instructor demonstrate his/hers
Ability it a reason for the kids to show up!

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had a 3 year old break.......!!!!!!!

but the board was only 1/2 thick..... (you could sneeze on it and it would break) BUT..........
HE didn't know that....... LOL

:asian:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
They love to play dodge ball... these are tennis size hollow balls that you can throw and not hurt anyone..... we play dodge ball to develop quick reflexes and slipping.

OP
Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

They love to play dodge ball... these are tennis size hollow balls that you can throw and not hurt anyone..... we play dodge ball to develop quick reflexes and slipping.

Can't you get rocks where you live then?

Rocks quickly weed out the stunents who aren't tough enough to make it, and build faster reaction times in those who are left.

Most importantly, it's MUCH more satisfying for the instructor.

Mace

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And that's why I don't teach kids classes, Les, I see your point perfectly. :D Add a bit of realism for the little guys....Ha

P

pineapple head

Don't forget guys , kids grow up to be adults.
Give the little fellas a break.:)

OP
Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pineapple head

Don't forget guys , kids grow up to be adults.
Give the little fellas a break.

Yeah, thats right!

Kids grow up to be people. That only makes it worse.

Les

OP
Les

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig

And some of us grow up and are fotunate enough to get revenge on our parents!

Trust me!

It doesn't stop there. Eventually, you become a grandparent, and then you can get revenge on your KIDS.

Les

Latest Discussions