Kids Fought Back, Escape From Abductor

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With video of the moves the elder brother used to escape and save his younger brother.

http://www.fox59.com/news/wxin-attempted-kidnapping-052110,0,7664325.story
Teen saves little brother from kidnappers

Two young boys fought back during an attempted kidnapping on the southwest side. Now, police are searching for the men who tried to grab them.

What made the kids fight back? It could have been instinct, but a few months back the boys took a "child escape" course, a one-hour course at a karate studio at 38th and High School Road.

"They showed them different ways how to get away from someone that grabs them, what to do in situations like that," said their mother.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to hear things worked out. I feel it is always better to fight and run then to just go along with the bad guy's program.

Shifu Steve

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear. I'll have to share this with one of the guys I train with. He has a 8 week self defense class he's teaching for women in his Master's program at NYU that are going overseas to do charity/goodwill work (they wind up in some precarious places.) He was skeptical about whether or not someone could actually use what they learned in such a short time frame as the "muscle memory" would not be developed. It was for this reason he tried to leverage very basic techniques off instinctual responses. We surmised that if at the very least the program raised the awareness of an attack it was a success. Awareness, being a proactive measure, could be one of the most effective techniques of them all.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to hear. I'll have to share this with one of the guys I train with. He has a 8 week self defense class he's teaching for women in his Master's program at NYU that are going overseas to do charity/goodwill work (they wind up in some precarious places.) He was skeptical about whether or not someone could actually use what they learned in such a short time frame as the "muscle memory" would not be developed. It was for this reason he tried to leverage very basic techniques off instinctual responses. We surmised that if at the very least the program raised the awareness of an attack it was a success. Awareness, being a proactive measure, could be one of the most effective techniques of them all.
Muscle memory is an important aspect of defending yourself but it's not as important (IMHO) in defending during an abduction attempt. Abductors are looking for their next easy victim. So long as the abductee makes a desperate and true attempt to fight back then just that resistance can be enough to convince the abductor that this vic simply isn't worth the risk of getting caught. When I teach womens self defense seminars I stress to them that they will NOT walk out of the seminar ready to take on the world. I feel that would be very unfair of me to instill that false sense of security. What I do attempt to convince them of, though, is that even if they don't do a technique exactly the way we teach them at least they aren't freezing up and doing nothing.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good to know those kid safety courses can work :)
Agreed... beats the hell out of ending up on a milk carton or an Amber wall in a Walmart.

Muscle memory is an important aspect of defending yourself but it's not as important (IMHO) in defending during an abduction attempt. Abductors are looking for their next easy victim. So long as the abductee makes a desperate and true attempt to fight back then just that resistance can be enough to convince the abductor that this vic simply isn't worth the risk of getting caught. When I teach women's self defense seminars I stress to them that they will NOT walk out of the seminar ready to take on the world. I feel that would be very unfair of me to instill that false sense of security. What I do attempt to convince them of, though, is that even if they don't do a technique exactly the way we teach them at least they aren't freezing up and doing nothing.
Agreed here as well. Predators expect little or no resistance, especially when it comes to children. This goes with any predatory animal, human or otherwise. Hopefully this may spur more parents to get their kids into some SD/MA classes or even seminars to reduce (if not eliminate) this tragic and unfortunately daily occurrence (somewhere in the U.S. and/or world a child is abducted).

What was interesting was that the older brother couldn't figure out WHY they would want to target his little brother. I think it's fortunate that he (and his brother) maintains their innocence just a wee bit longer. Children should never have to learn how bad the world CAN be too soon.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I teach womens self defense seminars I stress to them that they will NOT walk out of the seminar ready to take on the world. I feel that would be very unfair of me to instill that false sense of security. What I do attempt to convince them of, though, is that even if they don't do a technique exactly the way we teach them at least they aren't freezing up and doing nothing.
Heh. My favorite line, and it always gets a laugh:

I'm sorry, I've only got you for 4 hours today. You're not going to walk out of here as Xena, Warrior Princess.