Kids and Weapons

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across this article about an 8yr child that brought was she thought was a real gun to school for protection. It turned out that the gun was not real.

It too bad that kids today have to resort to bringing weapons to school to protect themselves.

UPPER DARBY, Pa. --
A child who brought a realistic replica of a gun to school apparently thought it was real, said police in suburban Philadelphia.

More

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparantly her concerns weren't so much at school but the walk home from school. Still sad though. :(

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is symptomatic of something much larger in our society. We no longer allow children to be children. Now they have to behave like adults from the age of five with all the worries and headaches that entails. Why can't a child live in a child's world for the first ten years of their life? Kids simply shouldn't have to think about things like this.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is symptomatic of something much larger in our society. We no longer allow children to be children. Now they have to behave like adults from the age of five with all the worries and headaches that entails. Why can't a child live in a child's world for the first ten years of their life? Kids simply shouldn't have to think about things like this.

I agree. Unfortunately, the bullying problem that so many schools have, is so out of control, this is what the result is.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. Unfortunately, the bullying problem that so many schools have, is so out of control, this is what the result is.
This is terrible and what has made it worse is the internet and blog websites. I saw on tv the other day that a 12yr kid commited suicide from being bullied at school but mostly on the internet. 12yrs old and had thoughts of suicide! Not only thoughts he went through with it. This made me sit back a think about my life at 12. I was picked on, who wasnt but to the point of taking my own life never.

B

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Quite a lot of these kids that are bullied could turn the situation around of they only had enough self confidence to do so. It's what I did, I faced my bully and she backed off.

When it gets to the point of a child thinking they need a weapon to protect themselves out of school though, it's getting bad. What sort of an areas did this girl live in? Was it really that bad or was it all in her head fed by propaganda from the TV and parents? Was she that scared by tales of what might happen if she wasn't careful? Or did she hear of actual events happening?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I work with kids all day every day who are with me because they brought a weapon to school. Most of these 'offenders' were in reality the victims, who feared for their safety because of being bullied, and so the weapon was their 'solution'. Often this is not the same scenario as it was back in the day, that is one on one 'schoolyard' bullying, but a whole crowd (organized gang, often), threatening one kid. So as in football, it's never the first offender who gets flagged; it's always the second one that the ref sees and penalizes.

This is a very great problem, but not something the schools alone can fix. I'ts a societal problem, and will have to be addressed by society (us) if we want to see healthier, happier, safer kids.

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I work with kids all day every day who are with me because they brought a weapon to school. Most of these 'offenders' were in reality the victims, who feared for their safety because of being bullied, and so the weapon was their 'solution'. Often this is not the same scenario as it was back in the day, that is one on one 'schoolyard' bullying, but a whole crowd (organized gang, often), threatening one kid. So as in football, it's never the first offender who gets flagged; it's always the second one that the ref sees and penalizes.

This is a very great problem, but not something the schools alone can fix. I'ts a societal problem, and will have to be addressed by society (us) if we want to see healthier, happier, safer kids.

I am right there with Kidswarrior, doing the same and feel the same!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparantly her concerns weren't so much at school but the walk home from school. Still sad though. :(

Good point, Carol. :ultracool And in my experience, this girl's concerns are often the case. Have seen many kids who can't even walk through their own neighborhoods safely. BTW, this too often leads kids to join gangs. They're then protected both in their 'Hood and at school by their Hood. It's a merry-go-round of fear/reacting with violence or threats/thus becoming the cause of fear, and I hope some day we can bring it to a stop.

Great thread, Mike. :)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Quite a lot of these kids that are bullied could turn the situation around of they only had enough self confidence to do so. It's what I did, I faced my bully and she backed off.

And thus began the martial journey of Shad? :) Seriously, you did the only right thing: bullies don't want an opponent, they want a victim. So when we, or the kids we teach, (our own or someone else's) can change like Shad did from victim to opponent, bullies go away to seek greener pastures.

Latest Discussions