Kicks

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your favorite and why and what is your non-favorite and why.

My favorite is the step behind side kick
Least is the inside/out

Terry

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Most - Sliding roundhouse, slight fake when the back leg comes forward and end up in close

Least - Inside/Outside, just seems awkward to me

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my most successful is the inside to out crescent kick. I never do a step sidekick because it is too slow and easily seen. I really don't have a favorite. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
One of my most successful is the inside to out crescent kick. I never do a step sidekick because it is too slow and easily seen. I really don't have a favorite. TW

I guess my little chubby body can explode the step behind because I can land it 90% of the time, it is about timing not speed.
Terry

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love any sidekick: a) frontside - great defensive 'stop' move. b) Spinning sidekick - fast and lot of power' c) step behind - *lot* of moving power.

I happen to like the sidekicks as they are great powerful moving kicks I use them more in sparring then most people I run into simly because I practice them a lot because they are better, imho, then a roundhouse for 'self-defense'

(that answers what *and* why)

Least favorite? Dunno...

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Favorite is cross-behind (crossing side kick). Generates lots of moving power. Second would be the axe kick.

Least favorite is any kick to my groin. :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For effectiveness my favorite is a basic rear leg front kick. I can throw it pretty quickly and with power and have found its not easily blocked.

For fun my favorite is a spinning outside crescent kick.

LeiDren

White Belt
Reaction score
My favorite is the back kick, I've sent some of the smaller students flying with that one ^^. And the flying side kick, just because it's so freaking fun to do.

I'd say I hate the spinning heel kick, but that's just bitterness, because that's the only kick I can't perform consistantly. It's tied with my jumping 360 heel kick, which is only because I had to do that for my red belt testing, and I'd never done it before -_-. It took me 12 tries, I was sure I was going to fail. But really, any single kick after any spinning kick is my biggest, because it screws up my rhythm.

...I have a long ways to go....

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
What is your favorite and why and what is your non-favorite and why.

My favorite is the step behind side kick
Least is the inside/out

Terry

..hmmmm somewhere between the Muay Thai style(rear leg) roundkick and the TKD style rear leg hook kick reason being is they're both VERY powerful techniques.The rear leg round kick,to me, is more practical though because it can be ultilized in many different offensive and defensive attacks and it is an awesome finishing technique in countless combos.
Even though the hook kick is are less practical,it is quite deceptive and it can be executed with great power without having to turn your back(I dont favor spinning moves that much,except for the spinning backfist and elbow.

My non favorite is the high cut kick(A Muay Thai Technique),it is quite powerful,but for some reason,every time I throw it,I hurt my foot.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My fave's are sliding side kick & spinning hook or even a front leg hook kick.

Least fave? Anything aimed at me:)

xayvong

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
favorite kick is turning long, or spinning hook kick because i know how to connect it.

least favorite is almost any kick with my left leg.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any kick right now I dislike (bum knee LOL). Seriously, I like any front leg kick (I fight south paw and REALLY throw people off). But fun kicks I like is spinning hook, 360, flying side kick, and double front kick (eventhough I can't do it anymore with bum knees).

The one kick I hate is the jump 360 back kick. My boyfriend did that for his BB test beautifully. I just can't get it ... ggrrrrr

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the Side Kick, in all its variations.

Also like capoeira's Meia Lua de Compasso

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Favorite: Tornado. Just 'cause I'm good at it.
Least Favorite: Side kick. My body complains every time I throw one.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite kick is the roundhouse kick. It's my bread and butter technique and it pretty much sets everything I do up when I spar.

My least favorite is jump spinning anything. I can do them just fine, but I would never ever even attempt one sparring. Their practicality is very limited in my book.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the basics done correctly. Front, side, round, hook.....if done with the correct technique are all inspiring.

I dislike basic kicks done incorrectly, sloppy, slow, no snap, incorrect technique, done like they just want to get it over with.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love twist kick. I am pretty good at it. I have been told that I am dan level with that kick. I hate back leg side kick. The torque after 5 just kills my knees.

Latest Discussions