No Sparring = No Rank Advancement

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would you all agree with this policy or not? So while sparring is entirely optional when it is introduced around 6th or 5th gup, a student will simply not promote past 5th gup without demonstrating satisfactory competence in a few rounds during the examination.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
For us it's part of testing for 3rd gup and above. It's taught below that, but some level of proficiency isn't expected until the above test.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess it really depends on your decision and your vision of what you feel is important for the students. If sparring skills is part of what you want your students to have, then making it a requirement for rank is perfectly reasonable.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would think that it's up to the instructor/owner of the training center in question. I would not be happy if I were a student and not told that sparring was a requirement until I had invested significant time and effort into training, but if it was clear all along that this was a requirement, then I would not have a problem with it.

I like to spar in any case, so I guess it's a moot point for me. It's part of our training in my dojo, all belts do it, from white on up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would you all agree with this policy or not? So while sparring is entirely optional when it is introduced around 6th or 5th gup, a student will simply not promote past 5th gup without demonstrating satisfactory competence in a few rounds during the examination.

I am loving this idea!

It is completely possible to have different standards for rank test sparring vs tournament sparring.

We usually had it as follows:
In class, anything goes, light medium contact to legal targets, try new things out. Communicate with your partner, maybe set up a technique to practice it.
Rank sparring: Show all techniques you can perform in a controlled manner, still, the person you spar with is your partner who - in most cases - also tests for rank up. Don't throw stuff that isn't hitting the mark yet, mix it up, show all you have mastered

Tourney sparring, well, try to nail your opponent for as many points as you can (up to 5 in a 2 minute round) keep it simple, but not too simple.

With the recent developments in my own organization I applaude the idea that even if you can opt out of sparring during class one should not expect to advance up the ranks without it.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Reasonable requirement based on what skills you want from your students and when!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Once you put your standard in place then what you require is set. What you have listed is reasonable to me.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Sounds reasonable, but I was wondering if you would require it for students 60 and up. I have such members and limit their sparring to very light contact.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would agree except for very limited people, like the elderly or physically challenged. But I agree sparring is needed at some point for the majority.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As part of our testing we had non-contact sparring for the lower belts and contact sparring for the upper belts. You had to show a certain level of aggression and the ability to put together a few kicks. They also liked you to do different types of kicks while sparring for rank. There was no scoring, it was more about how you stood up to your opponent.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would agree except for very limited people, like the elderly or physically challenged. But I agree sparring is needed at some point for the majority.

Not sure what you see as very limited.
My friend got her BB at 61. With shot hips and arthritis in at least one hand she was pretty limited. While she could barely get belt level on her side kicks, after a life of hard work this lady could throw a mean punch. Sparring is all about working with your own limitations while dealing with another person and his/her abilities.
There is no need for weekend warriors to try to kick each other through the room. but with set parameters almost everybody can spar!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sparring offers lessons that in my opinion are essential to martial training. While a regime may not to be centered around it as mine is not, to exclude it leaves valuable lessons unlearned. So yes, not only does "No Sparring = No Rank Advancement", it = you don't train in my school. I won't teach anyone who puts contraints on training. You don't have like it, but you do have to learn it.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm the other side of the fence on this. While I agree that SOME sparring has a beneficial aspect within training, most folks have carried it to extremes. The majority of folks are/have focused upon the Olympic type of sparring, which I personally find a waste of time and it also instills bad habits.

There is a major difference between self defense and sparring. Sparring is an agreed upon physical exchange. Even in a real fight, we're exchanging physical techniques, but the operative word here is "exchanging". Self defense on the other hand is the removal of any or all extended exchange of physical altercation. I want to take you out as fast as possible and not do 10 rounds with you. This does not mean that some physical exchange is not present, but is of limited nature, otherwise we wouldn't have to defend ourselves in the first place, a preemptive strike not overlooked also.

If you as an instructor wish to stipulate that your curriculum mandates sparring as a springboard to promotions, so be it, as long as your students are well aware of this and they are in agreement. There are disciplines out there that don't have sparring, as we have set forth, in their curriculum and they do very well with their offering of acceptable martial arts.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring is required as part of of the testing for 6th Gup so it begins at 7th Gup. Some might be given permission to start sooner.

Either you are teaching people to swim or you aren't.

If you are teaching them to swim they have to get in the pool and swim.

Otherwise it's just Tae Bo.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a necessary compromise given our status as a program within a church. I believe sparring is an integral part of TKD, both historically and as an effective training drill for developing movement, targeting, and yes, fitness. I am sure we can adjust standards for elderly people if needed. The goal isn't to make everyone prove they are Chuck Norris.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my class you spar even on your test from white to yellow. Granted, that round is simply vs a BB that does not attack. The performance can't hurt the student, but if they give it a good effort it can tip things their way if the panel is on the fence.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the school I attend we have two types of free style. Freestyle and tournament freestyle. You have to be able to freestyle, but tournament is optional. You gotta show what you know and this is the best avenue to do it it.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our school has compulsory sparring from 6th gup and from that level up it is a grading requirement. In my opinion sparring must be compulsory in tkd, its part of the curriculum. I can totally understand some people not wanting to spar but in that case I dont believe tkd is the martial art for them. I did karate as a teenager and sparring was virtually non contact and this I feel would suit better for those students who are not keen on sparring. Tkd, on the other hand, is full contact sparring and suits people who like to spar.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my school, sparring is required from white belt on for juniors and from yellow belt on for adults. For the very rare adults who CAN'T spar (like the woman with a brain tumor who is not allowed to get hit, or even jostled hard--EVER), they can do kata, techniques, and self defense only, but will never get to brown belt. Since we spar a great deal, they probably won't get anywhere near that far. This is despite the fact that we do light contact point sparring (although, as I've mentioned before, the Texas definition of "light" appears to be different than most places.)

The only test that includes sparring, however, is our black belt test. Prior to that, sparring in school tournaments is required for juniors; kata in tournaments is required for adults up to purple belt, and sparring and kata are required for brown belts. I guess that covers the testing aspect of sparring. You can't test if you don't compete in the school tournaments.