Kicking technique in Praying Mantis Kung Fu

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
During my time at University, I learned kickboxing from Wutan, UK which I believe is based on Praying Mantis Kung Fu.
Master Liu Qun Kiao taught They Soon Tuan who brought Wutan to the UK.
The eldest disciple of Liu Qun Kiao, Fou Tien Kok, was appointed as a teacher of martial arts and as bodyguard to Pu Yi, the last Emperor of China.
Another disciple Li Chian Wu was appointed head martial arts trainer for Chairman Mao Tsi Tung, the first chairman of the People's Republic Of China.

Because kickboxing is with boxing gloves, how does a kick from Praying Mantis Kung Fu differentiate from a taekwondo/karate or Muay Thai kick? I have noticed they don't chamber their kicks but that's all I can really see in the difference.
Some Wutan guys compete under Oriental and Muay Thai rules in the UK.

I don't know the difference between Northern/Southern Mantis

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
What makes you think your kickboxing is related? Southern mantis does not resemble Muay Thai or Tae Kwon Do at all. Most hand techniques from Tong Long Pai are not possible with gloves. I’m perplexed by your question. Could you elaborate on a specific?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not familiar with rule sets. I am familiar with a variety of kicks. I don’t know of any kick that is specifically Tong Long Pai. Many types of kicks are ubiquitous in Southern Chinese Martial arts.

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What makes you think your kickboxing is related? Southern mantis does not resemble Muay Thai or Tae Kwon Do at all. Most hand techniques from Tong Long Pai are not possible with gloves. I’m perplexed by your question. Could you elaborate on a specific?

Because Wutan provides kickboxing classes and my instructor did Praying Mantis.

In the UK the kickboxing is generally based on Jeremy Yau's version of Lau Gar where they chamber the kicks like in karate/taekwondo but Wutan kicks are mode similar to Muay Thai

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, some folks start in a CMA style that may flavor their ring style. Some of what is taught in a kwoon may not be appropriate for a ring match. He may move a certain way, change stance and footwork etc. but what he is doing in a ring may or may not hold resemblance to how he trains his CMA. Did you have an opportunity to ask him?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
All round kicks in Wutan are unchambered and Thai style. I regret not using Wutan/Thai kicks because Lau Gar / Karate/Taekwondo kicks lack power

Here's the history of Wutan

Whether a certain kick lacks power may not have much to do with individual style. I can generate a lot of force in a circling knife kick but some of my training brothers don’t have the mobility in the hip and ankle to do it. This is no indictment on them, some of them are better at joint manipulation than I am. I have seen some people in TKD do a very powerful and fast tornadoe kick, I have seen some sad and pathetic examples as well.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
All round kicks in Wutan are unchambered and Thai style. I regret not using Wutan/Thai kicks because Lau Gar / Karate/Taekwondo kicks lack power

That Brochure isn’t helpful to understand more than the marketing. Honestly, I am always a little skeptical when the brochure starts talking about how some unnamed disciple was chosen to ride the emperor’s unicorn because of his character, or that the system is too deadly to be taught to regular people. This kind of boasting is generally pure unadulterated Hogwash.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Just to be clear, I don’t mean any insult, I am intentionally blunt here sometimes.

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
some of way we practiced mantis in Korea....long ago...

kicking employed as a followup or secondary movement

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The Baji system is the main course of Wutan. Do you train Baji in your school?

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

That Brochure isn’t helpful to understand more than the marketing. Honestly, I am always a little skeptical when the brochure starts talking about how some unnamed disciple was chosen to ride the emperor’s unicorn because of his character, or that the system is too deadly to be taught to regular people. This kind of boasting is generally pure unadulterated hogwash

I only learned kickboxing as that was the only thing they offered at University

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

That Brochure isn’t helpful to understand more than the marketing. Honestly, I am always a little skeptical when the brochure starts talking about how some unnamed disciple was chosen to ride the emperor’s unicorn because of his character, or that the system is too deadly to be taught to regular people. This kind of boasting is generally pure unadulterated Hogwash.

We did pretty well at the University competitions in above-waist. The best University for kickboxing is probably Leeds who say their kickboxing is "a mixture of boxing, Muay Thai and taekwondo" and they host the University national.

Edinburgh, Newcastle and Loughborough are also better than us but I don't know what kickboxing they do. Bath University is better than us and does Sanda Kickboxing.

OP
R

ronki23

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our first year we came back with a gold, two silvers and two bronze medals at the Leeds (we took 13 fighters). In year 3 one of our guys became WAKO British Champion in Full Contact above-waist.

In 2013 one of our guys came back with a silver medal at the WAKO British Championship and won it a year later. He also won silver and bronze at the Leeds In 2014 and 2015.
Another guy won bronze at the WAKO in 2014 and gold at the Leeds; he won silver at the WAKO in 2015.
Another guy won silver at the WAKO in both 2014 and 2015.
A guy and a girl won bronze and silver at the Leeds in 2015. Another girl won a bronze at WAKO in 2015.

The team had 6-8 members in 2014/2015. 13 members in 2010.

I graduated in 2012.

Latest Discussions