Kicking question: Combing Strength Training with Flexibility training.

DrewTheTKDStudent1992

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a Taekwondo related question because it will involve high vertical kicks.

In a book I read called “Ultimate Flexibility” by Sang H Kim, he talks about how doing high kicks involves not only kicking drills but resistance and flexibility training.

The question I want to ask is, how do you guys combine the two?

My kicks are mostly horizontal because of my level of flexibility and I want it to get better vertically.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
YouTube Bill superfoot Wallace

He has a set of videos with some good excercises and stretches to improve kicking

Also stretch after your workouts

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lots of stretching and lots of squats (pistol squats will really help strength) worked into other drills

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doing forms with deep stances helps.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
YouTube Bill superfoot Wallace

He has a set of videos with some good excercises and stretches to improve kicking

Also stretch after your workouts
as has been discuss before, there us only very shaky evidence for the don't stretch before a work out thing that gets repeated over and over again,,

but if there is any truth in it,it most certainly doesn't say, only stretch after a work out, just don't stretch immediately before a work out, or if your not doing work out today, you can still stretch

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a Taekwondo related question because it will involve high vertical kicks.

In a book I read called “Ultimate Flexibility” by Sang H Kim, he talks about how doing high kicks involves not only kicking drills but resistance and flexibility training.

My kicks are mostly horizontal because of my level of flexibility and I want it to get better vertically.
you may have to face the fact, that some people have a genetic advantage in flexibility and you may never be as flexible as you wish, though you can most probably improve,,

both strength and flexibility are to a large part a product of your nervous system, that is, if your body doesn't have the strength to exercise a high kick your nervioussytem will restrict your flexibility to prevent damage, and therefore increasing the strength in the muscle will/ should increase the flexibility, also that developed muscles have more blood in them, which increases their ability to stretch,,

it's quite difficult to decided which in a chain of muscles is the one or more than one,whic, is causing the issue, a lot of my flex issues were eventually tracked don't to my calf muscles being tight, which is quite common amongst males, and building the CSA and strength of them unleased significant flexibility

so try and determine which muscles are the issue, and then look for ways to strengthen them

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score

I learn yoga before learning Taekwondo, so I understood to do splits would take time and Patience. It took me
2 years to be able to do a split and stay in the split with comfort. Every day stretch and hold at a position with a little strain. It is frustrating because it takes a long time to see any results.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
as has been discuss before, there us only very shaky evidence for the don't stretch before a work out thing that gets repeated over and over again,,

but if there is any truth in it,it most certainly doesn't say, only stretch after a work out, just don't stretch immediately before a work out, or if your not doing work out today, you can still stretch

Let me clarify...

I’m not saying you shouldn’t stretch before, just that stretching after is good if you are trying to increase flexibility.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me clarify...

I’m not saying you shouldn’t stretch before, just that stretching after is good if you are trying to increase flexibility.

I agree with what you are saying.Moving stretches are good for warming up the muscles before training. Static stretches before work out is not good.
Static stretching should be done at the end of the day, make it a ritual.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me clarify...

so thays before and after and instead off work out ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I learn yoga before learning Taekwondo, so I understood to do splits would take time and Patience. It took me
2 years to be able to do a split and stay in the split with comfort. Every day stretch and hold at a position with a little strain. It is frustrating because it takes a long time to see any results.
well then yes, but doing the splits most probably won't strength the muscles required to kick high, so other than showing off at parties, it seems a waste of two years of your life ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying.Moving stretches are good for warming up the muscles before training. Static stretches before work out is not good.
Static stretching should be done at the end of the day, make it a ritual.
whyvarestaticstrethes before a work out NOT GOOD, people keep saying this as if it's true, with seemingly no actual science ?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
well then yes, but doing the splits most probably won't strength the muscles required to kick high, so other than showing off at parties, it seems a waste of two years of your life ?

Yes, I did side kicks everyday ,but slowly increased my height of kick as I became more flexible.
Doing high kicks before you are ready may strain your groaning muscles and set you back in your training.
It is my belief, I maybe wrong.
When sparing or real fighting the power of the taekwondo side kick to the chest is devastating.
I could side kick almost straight up, but most of my kicks when sparing were right up under their lead arm to the chest.
No matter how good you can kick high, you lose power the higher you go. Maximum power is the height at witch your hip flips over.
The more the knee points down to aim your kick high the less power you have.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
whyvarestaticstrethes before a work out NOT GOOD, people keep saying this as if it's true, with seemingly no actual science ?
You are right I have no science to back up what I said. It may not be true, my opinion is based on my experience on my own body, what other experience people have told me and what I have seen coaching varies sports.
All I can say is it works for me.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

I dunno if it’s not good but what I’ve been told is it’s more effective after

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I stretch both. Or get my body moving beforehand and then stretch afterwards. To me it seems to work.

Latest Discussions