Request: Types of Gym Workouts for this TKD practitioner

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am saying that conventional wisdom states plyometrics is one of if not the most efficient way to train the fast twitch muscle fibers. when I first learned bout it in the early 1980's I had gotten a paper translated from some eastern European training manuals. Basically it required explosive movement. For example. Stand on a 2 foot high bench jump to floor and immediately upon landing, with no pause as soon as your legs stopped bending to absorb the impact continue upward and jump back on the bench. Since that time I have come across lots of stuff people called plyometric that did not fit that methodology. So, to engage in an exercise of making a search for this definition to have others find other examples to debate which is the better definition is not a worthwhile endeavor. I will leave it to whomever is interested in doing that to pursue it.
no i agree, that was indeed the origins of pylometrics training, its since been expanded somewhat to many other variations and also applied to many exercises that don't fit the basic requirements of being pylo,, but involve some sort of take off as the result of fast movement, which are really agility exercises and in themselves a valuable exercise despite out not being pylo.

the science as I understand it, is pylo don't develop fast twitch muscle so much, as that strengthen the neural connection to the fast twitch making them faster twitch, that is they respond quicker to the jump command rather than being stronger when you do jump, though there is of course an element of that as well, but not perhaps as much as opif you had done some heavy lifting instead or preferably as well