Kenpo

S

sanchinka

I have never heard of Kenpo until I came here what is it all about?

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Long answer required to give appropriate context to this question. I would start with a web search, peruse some sites. kenponet is a good start. Michael Billings' site is also good. That would give you an overview. Otherwise, just lotsa words to describe something kinda complex, and you still wouldn't have a good answer.

Regards,

Dave

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a modern form of Southern Chinese Kung Fu (via Hawaii), formed by the late Ed Parker. It is probably best known for its extensive terminology.

OP
L

lonekimono10

don't you want to know what it means?

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ken = fist
po = law (akin to the laws of nature rather than the 55mph speed limit, for instance)

OP
L

lonekimono10

randy i said this once i'll say it again "u the man"

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's a modern form of Southern Chinese Kung Fu (via Hawaii), formed by the late Ed Parker. It is probably best known for its extensive terminology.
Kenpo/Kempo goes back at least to Mitose and Chow, Parker started Ed Parker's American Kenpo, but shouldn't be credited with creating all Kenpo.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
Kenpo/Kempo goes back at least to Mitose and Chow, Parker started Ed Parker's American Kenpo, but shouldn't be credited with creating all Kenpo.
True: American Kenpo Karate was founded by Edmund K. Parker Sr., it's my understanding that though many of his first generation students called it "Ed Parkers American Kenpo" or EPAK, that he himself didn't like the art being defined by his name...but wanted the art to 'belong' to each practitioner.

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions