Kenpo Tools

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Well yes they are obviously geared towards multiple attackers as there are a total of 10 2-man techniques in the system. Each in their own right give specific ideas on how to handle 2 attackers. Since we are on C.T.T & F.O.F. Let's stay with that.
You can group many different ways but as long as you are specifically clear in your mind as to how and why and can back up your statements then there are no problems :) .
1) Types of the attacks. FOF shoulder level stiff arm grabs. CTT even closer 2 hand grab to each wrist by the attacker. Your dealing with different ranges yet both on the flank sides.

2) FOF deals with the attackers standing up and teaches you to spin inbetween the attackers. CTT deals with the attackers on one knee. So I would say they are related with the attackers fully standing and to one knee.

3) Look at the footwork pattern between the 2 techniques. FOF teaches you to spin but teaches you to front kick step behind into a rear twist then sidekick the attacker. CTT teaches you a slicing knife edge kick the plants into a front twist to knee strike the attackers front leg and sidekick the posting leg. I would say they are related in the footwork pattern.

I like to talk technique relationship but gots nobody to do it with here. :)
okay, the interrelated footwook helped it click along with the the type of attacks...I hadn't thought about that at all. now here's another question, Mr. Seigel has given many examples of forward, opposite, and reverse motions, e.g.: a right punch would be forward, opposite would be a left punch, and reverse motion would be a right reverse elbow. now, would a left rear twist be the opposite or reverse of a left front twist?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I would personally call it an opposite. However personally speaking it would depend upon how you get there. A "twist" is just a stance and there are 4 ways to get into a "twist" stance. 2 moving forward and 2 moving in reverse. Those are up to you on how you get there. :asian:

But with my limited experience and knowledge it could go much deeper than just simply saying opposite. Many factors could be involved than just merely saying opposite.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Chad,
After re-reading this entire thread 3 times I'm getting to the point where I'm kinda confused as the rest of the posters here. At first glance I gave a brief description of technique relationship which is what I thought you were looking for. After reading it again it looks as though the conversation was on W.O.K. particularly multiple attackers. Then you asked about the terms forward/ opposite/reverse. At this point I'm not sure if I shared the right thing, the wrong thing, or something that didn't even pertain to the conversation.
Help us all out and tell us what you're after?
:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was asking about everything, once one topic had been answered, that made me think of something new to ask about...hehe. but now we need a new topic badly.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Hey Chad,
After re-reading this entire thread 3 times I'm getting to the point where I'm kinda confused as the rest of the posters here. At first glance I gave a brief description of technique relationship which is what I thought you were looking for. After reading it again it looks as though the conversation was on W.O.K. particularly multiple attackers. Then you asked about the terms forward/ opposite/reverse. At this point I'm not sure if I shared the right thing, the wrong thing, or something that didn't even pertain to the conversation.
Help us all out and tell us what you're after?
:asian:
everything you shared helped. :)

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
okay...in the II's and from Mr. C.'s seminars, he's talked a bit about definitions of ANGLES, and the only one I think I remember is Angle of Incidence, and I think he said the strike connects with the target a ninety degree angle. Mr. C., could you please list some more definitions for us to assimilate?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
okay... Mr. C., could you please list some more "Angle" definitions for us to assimilate?
There are numerous "angle" definitions in the Encyclopedia of Kenpo.... check that out and let me know what you find and if you have any specific questioins...... of course .... ASK.

:)

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
There are numerous "angle" definitions in the Encyclopedia of Kenpo.... check that out and let me know what you find and if you have any specific questioins...... of course .... ASK.

:)
I don't have that particular book...:wah: so maybe if you can snag a copy and bring it with you in April, it would be much appreciative. :D so maybe until then, could you give me some food for thought?

OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Chad,

What he's getting at is that your question is too broad. You need to narrow the scope. Look through your II vols, to give you some ideas, or come to me with some questions to get you on track in the mean time.....

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
THUNDERING HAMMERS + 32 "variations of"
FIVE SWORDS + 46
LONE KIMONO + 9
INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE + 4
SHIELDING HAMMER + 20
REPEATING MACE + 8
LOCKED WING + 1
THRUSTING SALUTE + 2
PARTING WINGS + 24
HOOKING WINGS + 4

MASTER KEY TECHNIQUES

MASTER KEY MOVEMENT(S) are defined as being a move or series of moves that can be used in more than one predicament with equal effect. For example a rear heel kick, shin scrape, and instep stomp can be used for a FULL NELSON, BEAR HUG with the arms free or pinned, REAR ARM LOCK, etc. Or, an arm break can be applied to a cross wrist grab, a lapel grab, or hair grab -‑ application of the arm break would remain constant, but the methods of controlling the wrist would vary. In comparison, MASTER KEY TECHNIQUES entail sequential arrangements of movements that can be applied to a number of predicaments. In the case of a MASTER KEY TECHNIQUE it is a single technique that may be used as a BASE MOVE. Other similar techniques may then be perceived as formulations of it. In many ways they are like Family Groupings and Associated Moves; they are the result of an individual's further association of movements; they are the next logical step in the search for spontaneity. Remember, the following are only one set of model groupings. The art of Master Key Techniques is to eventually be able to use any and all techniques as a BASE MOVE and to see how all other techniques are formulations of it. This should lead you to the next level of spontaneity.

THUNDERING HAMMERS 32
Sleeper
Dance of Death
Grasping Eagles
Unwinding Pendulum
Dance of Darkness ***
Attacking Mace
Flashing Wings
Darting Mace
Crossing Talons
Desperate Falcons
Circling Fans ***
Leaping Crane
Gathering Clouds
Circling the Horizon
Piercing Lance
Taming the Mace
Shield and Mace ‑ Advanced
Back Breaker
Kneel of Compulsion
Brushing the Storm
Escape from the Storm
Flashing Mace
Glancing Salute
Clipping the Storm
Glancing Lance
Ram and the Eagle
Returning Storm
Grasp of Death
Gift of Destruction
Gift in Return
Gift of Destiny
Broken Gift

FIVE SWORDS 46
Delayed Sword
Fatal Deviation ***
Alternating Mace
Snaking Talons ***
Aggressive Twins
Entwined Maces ***
Defying the Storm
Mace of Aggression
Snapping Twigs
The Bear and the Ram
Tripping Arrow
Falling Falcon
Conquering Shield
Cross of Death
Bowing to Buddha
Raining Claw
Glancing Wing
Prance of the Tiger
Circling Fans ***
Deflecting Hammer
Hugging Pendulum
Retreating Pendulum
Dance of Darkness ***
Unwinding Pendulum
Menacing Twirl
Reversing Circles ***
Swinging Pendulum
Detour From Doom
Deceptive Panther
Charging Ram
Broken Ram
Intercepting the Ram
Spreading Branch
Reprimanding the Bears
Captured Twigs
Crushing Hammer
Obscure Wing
Calming the Storm
Securing the Storm
Triggered Salute
Twisted Twig
Bow of Compulsion
Reversing Mace
Circling Destruction
Gripping Talon
Twisted Rod

LONE KIMONO: 9
Twin Kimono
Clutching Feathers
Locking Horns
Captured Leaves
Entangled Wing
Snapping Twig
Raking Mace
Obscure Sword
Falcons of Force

INTELLECTUAL DEPARTURE: 4
Circle of Doom
Rotating Destruction
Unfolding The Dark
Encounter With Danger

SHIELDING HAMMER: 20
Sword of Destruction
Evading The Storm
Protecting Fans
Shield and Mace
Leap From Danger
Dominating Circles
Circles of Protection
Raining Lance
Circling Windmills
Unfurling Crane
Reversing Circles
Leap of Death
Destructive Kneel
Destructive Fans
Glancing Spear
Desperate Falcons
Broken Rod
Fatal Deviation ***
Entwined Maces ***
Snaking Talons ***

REPEATING MACE: 8
Shield and Sword
Twirling Hammers
Checking The Storm
Twirling Wings
Entwined Lance
Parting of the Snakes
Capturing the Rod
Defying the Rod

LOCKED WING: 1
Flight to Freedom

THRUSTING SALUTE: 2
Buckling Branch
Striking Serpent's Head

PARTING WINGS: 24
Thrusting Prongs
Begging Hands
Thrusting Wedge
Blinding Sacrifice
Twist of Fate
Crashing Wings
Spiraling Twigs
Squatting Sacrifice
Scraping Hoof
Repeated Devastation
Cross of Destruction
Fallen Cross
Heavenly Ascent
Squeezing the Peach
Crossed Twigs
Circling Wing
Wings of Silk
Obstructing the Storm
Capturing the Storm
Calming the Storm
Securing the Storm
Snakes of Wisdom
Grip of Death
Escape From Death

HOOKING WINGS: 4
Fatal Cross
Twirling Sacrifice
Defensive Cross
Marriage of the Rams

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's some stuff I jotted down for one of the * techniques. Hopefully will provide some discussion. Again, right or wrong I will stand behind what I have typed here. :)

Five Swords
Technique: right sophisticated block to handsword, left palm heel, right uppercut,
Inside technique above the arms
Footwork: Neutral, forward, nuetral, cut circle (move up line), wide kneel w/right handsword
Major handsword strike on the neck on the inside of the attacker from the front
Teaches positional checks on the inside of an opponent
Five swords will work on the outside of a left punch
F.S. IF check off after the right handsword can graft into C.D. on the outside or Glancing Wing
Gravitational Marriage technique
F.S. can work with a right punch, right then left punch, or right/left/right punch combination and also for a right kick/punch combination on the inside

Circling Destruction
Technique: right inward parry, left outward parry, right back knuckle, hyperextension, left palm heel
Outside technique below the arms
Footwork: Neutral, forward, cut circle (move up line), neutral w/right handsword
Major handsword strike on the neck outside of attacker from behind
Teaches applied checks on the outside of an opponent
Circling Destruction will work on the inside of a right punch
C.D. could easily graft into Entwined Lance on the inside of a right
C.D. IF the left arm collapses before hyperextension can graft into F.S. or Glancing Wing
Gravitational Marriage technique
C.D. is Unfurling Crane from the rear
C.D. can work for a left kick/punch combo. from the outside

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guess I made a mistake :shrug: . I was looking the list over and realized (for whatever reason) that the * technique was Circling Fans and not Circling Destruction. :confused: Guess I look like a goof. :) At any rate. I'm going to put something up probably tomorrow night.

Right now I'm running on fumes. Too much cardio today. :asian:

Latest Discussions