Kenpo Tools

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
We have all heard Mr. C talk about the Kenpo Tools, what they are and why they are important. I think this is a good place for us all to discuss them.

We can start with the Analytical Study of Motion:

S

Stick Dummy

As a "shade tree mechanic", I'd sure like some more tools for my toolbox.

Please enlighten us Mr. Conatser ....... :asian:

S

Stick Dummy

Mr C.,

Could you start with the mind & mindset, and work down the shoulder to the hands?

I try to use those on a daily basis and believe them to be my most important tools. :asian:

OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe Mr. C is referring to the Kenpo Tools as those things that allow us to understand, learn, and practice our Kenpo more effectively. Some examples might be the Analytical Study of Motion, The Web Of Knowledge, The Equation Formula, etc...

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
speaking of tools, I think those Kards that Josh posted about would be invaluable with helping the kids learn. I know how I was with Magic cards and maybe getting the kids to collect those would help in all aspects. they would memorize the stats on each card just like they do if it's a card game like Magic or Duel Monsters. and the art looks really good. :)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seig said:
I believe Mr. C is referring to the Kenpo Tools as those things that allow us to understand, learn, and practice our Kenpo more effectively. Some examples might be the Analytical Study of Motion, The Web Of Knowledge, The Equation Formula, etc...

Right you are Mr. Seigel.....

(KENPO TOOLS (some of))

·[font=&quot] [/font]Logical Analytical approach to study and material

·[font=&quot] [/font]8 considerations:
·[font=&quot] [/font]Acceptance
·[font=&quot] [/font]Environment
·[font=&quot] [/font]Range
·[font=&quot] [/font]Positions
·[font=&quot] [/font]Maneuvers
·[font=&quot] [/font]Targets
·[font=&quot] [/font]Natural Weapons
·[font=&quot] [/font]Natural Defenses

·[font=&quot] [/font]Analytical study of motion
1. Direction
2. Method
3. Path
4. Dimension
5. Angle

* Dimensional Stages of Action
* out of range
* in range
* contact penetration
* contact manipulation

·[font=&quot] [/font]3 Points of View

·[font=&quot] [/font]Principles

·[font=&quot] [/font]Concepts

·[font=&quot] [/font]Theories

·[font=&quot] [/font]3 Divisions of the Art
A. Basics
a. Stances
b. Maneuvers
c. Blocks
d. Strikes,
e. Specialized moves & methods
I. Forms & Sets
a. Short & Long 1 - Short & Long 2 = Dictionaries’
b. Short 3 & Beyond = Encyclopedias
c. Sets = appendices

B. Self Defense
i. Methods of Attack
1. unarmed vs. unarmed
2. unarmed vs. armed
3. armed vs. unarmed
4. armed vs. armed
i. Methods of Training for an attack
1. solo
2. with a partner or partners
i. Web of Knowledge
1. grabs & tackles
2. pushes
3. punches
4. kicks
5. hugs & holds
6. locks & chokes
7. weapons
8. multiples of the above

C. Freestyle (Sparring)
1. Tournament
2. Full contact
3. Street

OUTER RIM, a boundary reference to adhere to , and a reminder of the ultimate goal in Kenpo; to elongate circles and round corners (G) The Circle: Is symbolic of several things, it depicts LIFE itself, as a continuous cycle, where there is no beginning or end. So is it with the art of Kenpo, it too is a CYCLE OF UNENDING AND PERPETUAL MOVEMENT OR MOTION.

WHITE & BLACK DOT FOCUS

Terminology

Three states of motion (SOLID, LIQUID, & GAS),
Three stages of comprehension (TO KNOW OF, TO KNOW, & TO UNDERSTAND).

Three phases of techniques: (IDEAL, WHAT IF, and FORMULATION)
The three stages of learning (PRIMITIVE, MECHANICAL and SPONTANEOUS)

Three instructional elements involved in becoming a true instructor: (TEACHER, COACH and TRAINER)

Three elements of speed (PERCEPTUAL, MENTAL and PHYSICAL),
Three key words (PRINCIPLE,CONCEPT and THEORY),
The three "U's': (USEFUL, UN USEFUL, and USELESS).

Force engagement: when executing a block or strike, physical contact can occur; {1} when force meets force, {2} when force goes with force, ,{3} when force meets a neutral force, {4} when a neutral force meets a neutral force.

4 ZONES OF PROTECTION (height, width, depth, & obscure).
SENSES {SIGHT, SOUND, TOUCH, SMELL, AND TASTE
DIRECTIONAL KEYS, clockwise, counter clockwise, forward, reverse, as well as opposites.

Universal Pattern will clarify this. Also represent the MATHEMATICAL SYMBOLS of our art (MINUS SIGN "-", PLUS SIGN "+", MULTIPLICATION SIGN "x", valuable reference points to enhance our study and development. In the globe, form the latitudes & longitudes which map our planet, likewise, the Art of American Kenpo has an architecture to map out its various areas of importance, design, study etc., The NINE PLANES found in the universal pattern.

Triangle: Is an icon for the GEOMETRIC SHAPES utilized in Kenpo (CIRCLE, SQUARE, TRIANGLE, OVAL, ETC.). These are valuable points of reference.

Three areas of growth: BODY, MIND, & SPIRIT.

EQUATION FORMULA:for sparring, as well as self-defense technique formulation.
The FORMULA is: to any given base move whether it is a single move or a series of movements, you can: (1) PREFIX it, add a move or moves before it, (2) SUFFIX it, add a move or moves after it, (3) INSERT, add a simultaneous move with the already established sequence, (4) REARRANGE, change the sequence of the moves, (5)ALTER the weapon, the target, or both, (6) ADJUST the range, the angle of execution, or both the angle of execution and the range, (7) REGULATE the speed, the force, both speed and force, intent and speed, (8) DELETE, exclude a move or moves from the sequence.

Attachments

• $universalspin.gif
    $universalspin.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 168
OP
Seig

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, if no one else is going to chime in, I'll go it alone.......

Mr. C,
In the Analytical Study of Motion, I have a pretty good grasp on Direction, Method, Path, and Angle, but the one I have trouble both remembering and understanding is dimension. Does the refer to height, depth, and width?
Thank You.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question about the eight considerations, and I may be over looking the obvious, which I've done on many occasions...but why would natural weapons be listed before natural defenses?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
I have a question about the eight considerations, why would natural weapons be listed before natural defenses?
These were placed in a specific order of logical priority of preventive Self Defense.

Acceptance
Environment
Range
Position
Maneuvers
Targets
Natural Weapons
Natural Defenses

First you must Mentally Accept and be aware that there are/can be impending dangers within any given environment, from which stems range where an opponent or yourself could become engaged either defensively or offensively, appropriate action would then be dependent on the exact position you or your opponent is in at any given time, which would result in your specific choice of maneuvers to use, then depending on what opportunity of targets you have would result in the natural weapons you would be able to use and finally continue to cloak yourself with natural defenses to keep you protected. :)

:rtfm:
Just for a bit of historical reference..... prior to the publishing of the Infinite Insights..... the order was..........
Environment
Range
Position
Maneuvers
Targets
Natural Weapons
Blocks
Covers

After more personal analyzation stemming from discussions with some of his top Students..... He modified the order and adopted the new arrangement.

Acceptance was prefixed due to the "Mental" state that one must experience prior to any movement...... and then Blocks and Covers were combined into "Natural Defenses" which they are.

:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know in every offense there is a defense and in defense there is an offense, but simply looking at the yellow belt curriculum, we teach to step back to gain distance and to use opposite sides of the body to maximize effectiveness early on. it would just seem that it would be a logical progression to identify natural defenses before natural weapons at a beginning stage.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chronuss said:
I know in every offense there is a defense and in defense there is an offense, but simply looking at the yellow belt curriculum, we teach to step back to gain distance and to use opposite sides of the body to maximize effectiveness early on. it would just seem that it would be a logical progression to identify natural defenses before natural weapons at a beginning stage.
LOL,........ yes weedhopper..... but.... there is a difference between the terms "offense/defense" and "NATURAL DEFENSES"

We were talking about "Natural Defenses" there is a definition difference you need to examine deeper.:supcool:

:asian:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
well...natural defenses, the use of body parts as blocks or deterrents to avoid harm. I had just always wondered why natural weapons would be listed before natural defenses ever since I first encountered the list, I didn't mean to beat a dead horse.

Latest Discussions