kenpo kids

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
to all instructors/school owners or anyone else,

i am looking for your thoughts ,ideas, methods, etc. on kenpo training for kids. the hows, whens, whys, all that good stuff. it is a constant challenge for me to get some kids motivated and enthused to learn. kids are our future black belts and i want to turn out the best martial artists and citizens that i am capable of. knowing that what i know is very little and always wanting to learn, i would love to hear from other kenpo maniacs on this subject.

full salute.

kevin kilroe

R

rmcrobertson

Get a copy of the new edition of Larry Tatum's, "Confidence: A Child's First Weapon."

OP
K

kevin kilroe

Orange Belt
Reaction score
just tried 4kicks.com and got an internal server error. maybe its just temporary. im curious as to what age you think kids can grasp kenpo. i think a lot of the techniques are way to complex for a kid to learn. some of our classes are kids and adults(families)and it is very difficult to teach that way. it is frustrating to say the least but it is a good lesson in patience. any thoughts?

thanks,
kevin

R

rmcrobertson

Kids, in their way, are neither more nor less stupid than we are. They're just differently stupid.

You might also think of teaching kids as a matter of pouring a foundation for a building that you may never see...

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
well...

think about modifying the techniques so the kids are learning something they can actually use.

height and size/weight can really matter...

teach them something that will actually work... although there's a definite advantage for a 6'3" opponent against a 5'6" victim, there's almost impossible odds if the 6'3" opponent is attacking a 3'6" child.

Kid vs. kid is something most kids can deal with... its kid vs. adult that is the problem.

go over basic safety...

don't walk around alone
if someone hurts you, run if you can, scream if you can't
if someone does something you don't like, tell an adult

and stuff like that.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by kevin kilroe
just tried 4kicks.com and got an internal server error. maybe its just temporary. im curious as to what age you think kids can grasp kenpo.

I got the same error.

FWIW, I began learning kenpo at 9-10 and the program was the same as adults'. Though at that time in Spain there were only 35 or so techniques.

The kids at the school I go sometimes to substitute the teacher are a little younger (7-10) and we work mainly basics and forms with them. The yellow techs are also fine for them. It has to be taught more like a game, though. Don't allow them to be bored in your class :)

But they can learn the more complex techniques as well... and do REAL damage with them. The issue with kids is not the complexity of techniques, as I see it, but the lack of proper control.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by kevin kilroe
just tried 4kicks.com and got an internal server error. maybe its just temporary. im curious as to what age you think kids can grasp kenpo. i think a lot of the techniques are way to complex for a kid to learn. some of our classes are kids and adults(families)and it is very difficult to teach that way. it is frustrating to say the least but it is a good lesson in patience. any thoughts?

thanks,
kevin

I go with what Huk Planas says, that kenpo should not be taught to them, they can't handle it. Just me 2 cents, nothing more.:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I think that people waste their money when they enroll their 4 yo child. I mean the class is usually only a half hour, but it is more of a babysitting class, so the parents can run out and get things done, rather than a learning class. A 4yo has a VERY short attention span, and you need to keep their attn. from the beginning, otherwise, you will never get it back. Making their learning more into a game, is what you really need to do.

The older kids. Well, that seems to work a little better, but at times, even they quickly lose interest if you are not keeping it exciting.

As for teaching kids or all ages and adults the same technique--this I think is not good. How can you expect a 4yo, a 12 yo, and a 30 yo, the same tech, and expect it to work??? Doesnt happen! Kids should be taught like someone else on here posted-- a simple SD tech, something that they will be able to use, as well as safety. Rather than make them think that they will be able to defend themselves against an adult, why not teach them the safety issues!

Mike

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Teaching kids is tough~!

Young kids under age 10 have a very short attention span.. don't overload their brains with a deluge of Information.. use the K.I.S.S. Formula.. add some games into the curriculum. Kenpo Dodge ball, padded stick fighting, grappling, (every schoolyard tussle I've seen .. the kids are usually scrambling together on the ground) (we teach Samurai Jiu-jitsu also).
Teach basics to very young kids. as in the 1st yellow belt saying.. Distance is your best friend.. doesn't just pertain to taking a step back or forward or sideways.. it's Getting away from the attacker..Kia'ing (scare your attacker, Get attention to yourself for help) etc.

We have a bunch of 'pool noodles' we let the kids whack at each other.. having to defend against them using blocks and they love it.
Making the warmups fun, animal races across the floor, wheelbarrow races, (one kid holds the legs of the other.. ensuring team work, circuit training, one area is bag work, one kicking, another holding legs up 6" off the ground..and so on.

Each child is an individual and being able to relate to their emotional makeup is a challenge to an instructor, not everyone is meant to be a Teacher.. so make sure whomever is teaching kids is not just reciting information, or demonstrating.. Make sure they are reaching the child, interacting with them, and teaching them.

As kids start maturing anywhere from age 9 up.. they are going to be even more demanding. Those raging hormones that cause parents to tear their hair out will affect everyone around them. Their bodies are growing fast, both sexes will be moodier than normal, a young boy going through his growth spurt who could move like lightning a month before may suddenly be a gawky mechanical creature you just want to strangle.. etc.. change is inevitable, patience is the key.

I think from personal experience, that most kids under age 10 are not really ready to dedicate themselves to learning Kenpo. We've had our share of kids all raring to go at first ..fizzle out after a couple months, Something else comes along to catch their eye and off they go to T-ball, camp, swimming lessons etc (in summer time). Parent's dish out $$ trying to keep the child occupied in an activity, I blame the parent for allowing the kid to quit without ramifications, they just hand out the money to some other activity for the next go round. It's pretty sad. Or when kids go off on summer vacations and lose their interest while they're away.

Kid's attention spans are vapid, and you may see 1 out of 10 actually want to learn and reach for a goal. So there in lies a few issues to deal with. Creating a program that is fun, yet disciplined and challenging to the age level.
Friday night class at our studio had a couple problems for one student.. He was acting out repeatedly, I finally took him aside (age 13) and asked him what the problem was.. No problem, he didn't want to be there that night, he just wasn't in the 'mood' , he was in tears and couldn't maintain any concentration. I took him aside.. worked on his techniques for a few minutes and then paired him up with another student. gave them each a padded escrima stick, and a shield & Helmet and they stick sparred for the last half of class. He went out of the class happy and promised next week would be better.

If you're going to start kids classes, Research, check out other school's programs, make your curriculum a fun one, have good instructors and prepare to embark on a difficult journey :)

Good Luck~!

Tess

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by RCastillo
I go with what Huk Planas says, that kenpo should not be taught to them, they can't handle it. Just me 2 cents, nothing more.:asian:

I believe that is a bit narrow minded.
I have taught Kenpo to Several kids in the past. They learn the moves very well. Some aspects of what Kenpo is about they may not understand, but as far as learning the moves, pledges, principles and concepts....they do that very well.

Truly intriguing....the mind of a child!

K

kenpo2dabone

We did teach kids at my orginal school. I was on of the instructors who had that priveledge. It was very frustrating and intimidating at times. Frustrating in that kids act up sometimes, intimidating because it is sometimes difficult to discipline some one elses child in front of them. We did not take kids below the age of 6 and each kid below the age of 8 we screened with a couple of free lessons and then would honostly tell the parents if we felt that their child did ot have the attention span yet to learn Kenpo. At least not the way we taught it. Not to be deragatory twords TKD but we would tell the parents that some of the TKD schools had corriculaums better suited for children and that was absolutely true. We taught the kids the same techniques as the adults just not as many of them per belt. A child purple belt would be the equivalant of an adult orange belt. In the 35 + years that that school was around there was only one junior blackbelt ever awarded. So good luck with thais endeavor.

Salute,
Mike Miller UKF

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually I agree with Huk but in this case we differ. When my 15 year old started at age 9 I used to cringe at his sloppy motion but Mr. Hatfield would remind me to be patient. Sure enough as he is maturing I see everything tightening up. He now hits harder than I do with less effort. His Kenpo helped his transition to a new school both because of self confidence and because he can now stop a bully before anyone else even knows whats going on. I now find that I at 46 can learn new movements but that my son has internalized them. I now thouroughly believe that Kenpo is for kids.

My instructor Mr. Hatfield has done a good job of making each learning step smaller. He now teaches the Kids on a 5 week cycle so they have frequent small goals. He is very good at finding positive things to tell every child and yet continuously and gently corrects what they do wrong.

Kenpo is definitely for kids, but not every instructor is good with kids.

Jeff

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Kenpodoc
Usually I agree with Huk but in this case we differ. When my 15 year old started at age 9 I used to cringe at his sloppy motion but Mr. Hatfield would remind me to be patient. Sure enough as he is maturing I see everything tightening up. He now hits harder than I do with less effort. His Kenpo helped his transition to a new school both because of self confidence and because he can now stop a bully before anyone else even knows whats going on. I now find that I at 46 can learn new movements but that my son has internalized them. I now thouroughly believe that Kenpo is for kids.

That is a good story! I liked it. :D
My instructor Mr. Hatfield has done a good job of making each learning step smaller. He now teaches the Kids on a 5 week cycle so they have frequent small goals. He is very good at finding positive things to tell every child and yet continuously and gently corrects what they do wrong.

I am kind of curious how that 5 week cycle works. That sounds like an interesting idea. ;)

Kenpo is definitely for kids, but not every instructor is good with kids.

I know that to be sooo true. I have seen it! :shrug:

Jeff

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is a floatation device 6' long and roughly 8" in diameter. It can wrap under arms, between legs, sit on it like a swing, and they used them in my Physical Therapy when I was rehabing my knee in their pool.

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Michael Billings
It is a floatation device 6' long and roughly 8" in diameter. It can wrap under arms, between legs, sit on it like a swing, and they used them in my Physical Therapy when I was rehabing my knee in their pool.

They are soft and commonly used by kids to beat on each other with. :D

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jeffkyle

I am kind of curious how that 5 week cycle works. That sounds like an interesting idea. ;)

Jeff

The basic system was adopted from Mr. Wedlake. Everyone is in a 5 week learning cycle. Adults learn 3 techniques every 5 weeks, week 4 is for review and week 5 is test week. This comes out to 5 years minimum study for a black belt but most of us take longer. the children are divided into 2 groups.

Juniors. Age 9 - 15 also work 3 techniques every 5 weeks. This ensures lot's of tape stripes on each belt to keep interest focused. Junior black belt is 114 techniques and the focus is on dealing with student to student violence, avoiding dangerous adults and developing good study habits for home and school. Several of the techniques are modified to be more acceptable in a school situation (ie Striking Serpants head with a heelpalm.) Basics are emphasized throughout. if the child then chooses to advance to Adult Blackbelt they start back at the beginning to learn the system as taught to adults.

Little Dragons age 5 - 10 learn an approx 80 technique system. The techniques are shortened and are essentially the entry move with one or two follow ups. The long 1 and long 2 are shortened. They learn 2 techniques every 5 weeks with 2 weeks review and 1 testing/fun day. When they move up to Junior they start at the beginning again and learn the longer versions. Lot's of basics contests are emphasized and classes are kept fun.

The system sounds regimented but it keeps both the kids and the instructors focused.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Latest Discussions