Kenpo Kards

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just got a deck.

One thing that puzzled me was the card called 'The Pincher' (T8). A bit of searching through the boards here, and I see that some people refer to the technique I know of as 'Grasp of Death', as 'The Pincher'.

The deck has the technique card 'Grasp of Death' (T9). It is identical to 'The Pincher' (T8).

Oh, well. ... so much for quality control. ;)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I just got a deck.

One thing that puzzled me was the card called 'The Pincher' (T8). A bit of searching through the boards here, and I see that some people refer to the technique I know of as 'Grasp of Death', as 'The Pincher'.

The deck has the technique card 'Grasp of Death' (T9). It is identical to 'The Pincher' (T8).

Perhaps rather than assuming the inclusion of the the two was a mistake, you should have simply asked the question as to why.

Short version:
The yellow belt techniques were not originally a part of the commercial belt ranking charts. They were added much later as an experimental children's chart. Over time some of the techniques were changed, adjusted, and deleted. The technique "Grasp of Death" was originally known as "The Pincher." This is because the techniques original focus taught pinching a nerve to the rear of the patella as the initial response to the attack. This response was ultimately dropped and the name adjusted to reflect that change.

In the process of researching the marketing of the KENPO KARDS Mr. Parker discovered there are many schools still teaching various techniques from different versions of the belt charts created by his father over the years. In an effort to include everyone, he simply created as many versions as possible to not exclude anyones currently taught curriculum.

The painstakingly meticulous effort Mr. Parker puts into all of his art projects is monumental. Consider the effort he had to put forth to artistically create and conceptualize a painting for each and every technique, then sit down and actually produce each and everyone, one at a time. The KENPO KARDS project was years in the making. Please, next time simply ask a question rather than assuming there was somehow a mistake made or a lack of "quality control."

Thank you

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow ... I've been spanked.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to the system, the Kards, or Mr. Parker.

Anyhow, Doc, I do appreciate the work that went into the Kards, which is why I purchased them. Because the currently available set does not include everyone of the techniques, I guess I would have hoped for the inclusion of a different technique.

As for asking a question, Are 'The Pincher' and 'Grasp of Death' the same technique with different names or are they different techniques? If they are different techniques, what are the differences?

Thank you.

Mike

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
Perhaps rather than assuming the inclusion of the the two was a mistake, you should have simply asked the question as to why.
In an effort to include everyone, he simply created as many versions as possible to not exclude anyones currently taught curriculum.

Thank you

This is pretty much what Mr. Duffy told me when I asked him a similar question. Although I suspected as much since the backs of the cards are Identical.

But I doubt all the old names will be there. I don't expect to see The Dancer, Whirling Blades, Crossing Mountains, et al. But it was very considerate of Mr. Parker to do this along the lines of "The greatest good for the greatest number of people."

To quote Superman from the old Justice League cartoon. :ultracool

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
cdhall said:
But I doubt all the old names will be there. I don't expect to see The Dancer, Whirling Blades, Crossing Mountains, et al. But it was very considerate of Mr. Parker to do this along the lines of "The greatest good for the greatest number of people."
l
The technique names you mentioned were never in the WRITTEN
commercial curriculum of Ed Parker.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
pete said:
i guess i'll be looking out for kimono grab and scimitar...

You're just telling your age Pete. But those techniques were never a part of the WRITTEN comercial curriculum. It was pretty much a verbal expression of those techniques then.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
The painstakingly meticu
Doc said:
lous effort Mr. Parker puts into all of his art projects is monumental.
Ed Parker Jr. just completed a portrait for my instructor and it is absolutely stunning. He is a very talented artist! Usually the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Doc, was Ed Parker artistic in terms of drawing?

MJ :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Wow ... I've been spanked.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to the system, the Kards, or Mr. Parker.

Anyhow, Doc, I do appreciate the work that went into the Kards, which is why I purchased them. Because the currently available set does not include everyone of the techniques, I guess I would have hoped for the inclusion of a different technique.

As for asking a question, Are 'The Pincher' and 'Grasp of Death' the same technique with different names or are they different techniques? If they are different techniques, what are the differences?

Thank you.

Mike
I apologize if I seemed overly harsh sir. Perhaps I'm a bit too protective of my nephew/little brother/student. I know how much of his heart and soul he puts into all of his art work.

The techniques as I understand them historically, are the same. It was one of the techniques that just changed names, whereas other were actually deleated and replaced with "new" techniques.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Ed Parker Jr. just completed a portrait for my instructor and it is absolutely stunning. He is a very talented artist! Usually the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Doc, was Ed Parker artistic in terms of drawing?

MJ :asian:
Actually the artistic talent of Ed Parker Sr. was in the field of music.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:
Actually the artistic talent of Ed Parker Sr. was in the field of music.
Thanks Doc that explains some things in Infinite Insights!
MJ :)

Eh, watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful paralyzing perfect pachydermous percussion pitch.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I just got a deck.

Dear Michael,
This was done so that if a kenpoist was doing the older yellow belt curriculum techniques [aggressive twins,spreading branch,the pincher,intellectual departure] then there would be cards/kards for them to perform their techniques as well! BTW, kimono grab,dancer,etc... are tracy techniques and therefore are not listed in the Parker Syllabus and not listed by those names on the kenpo kards.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know about the distinction between "Pincer" and Tracy names for example. Thanks for the post Kenpojoe.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Those cards appear to be not only beautifully illustrated, but a brilliant idea. As a non-kenpoist, all I can say is Wow. Cool, cool stuff. :asian:

Latest Discussions