Kenpo Karate

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
JAMJTX said:
Since all of Trias' teachers were American, can someone explain how he opened the first karate school?

I thought Trias lineage was Okinwan, in fact that he yearly traveled to okinawa to study

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh by the way additionally, Parker took his "Father of ... " from Ark Wong who was known at the time as the "Father of American Kung-Fu." Parker wanted to be
known as the "Father of American Kenpo" but the business aspect oblidged him to accept and promote the "Father of American Karate" personna.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am an alumna of BYU (Utah). Having double majors from the University is not unusual. It wouldn't surprise me at all for Mr. Parker to be a double major with Psychology and Sociology at the same time and get two separate degrees simultaneously. From the way things are described, it sounds like that is how it happened.

- Ceicei

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Double majors (with a single degree) are common. Double degrees usually require 5 years (an extra year's worth of credits for the second degree) and so are much, much less common. In addition, double degrees within a college--here, Arts and Sciences--are also commonly disallowed; or, you can get a BS and a BA but not two BAs.

A single degree with two majors seems much more likely. This type of info. is usually public--when one graduated and with what degree(s). The Registrar might verify it.

Edit: Looking at BYU's web site, it currently doesn't seem to offer a second degree--only a second major. Of course, things may have been different in the past!

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I am an alumna of BYU (Utah). Having double majors from the University is not unusual. It wouldn't surprise me at all for Mr. Parker to be a double major with Psychology and Sociology at the same time and get two separate degrees simultaneously. From the way things are described, it sounds like that is how it happened.

- Ceicei

Whataver the case, he was certainly well educated - both in the martial arts and academics. I think whether it was two separate sheepskins, or one with two majors is really an unimportant technicality.

On edit: good job on your BYU degree, Ceicei. I know that it is considered a very good University.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Double majors (with a single degree) are common. Double degrees usually require 5 years (an extra year's worth of credits for the second degree) and so are much, much less common. In addition, double degrees within a college--here, Arts and Sciences--are also commonly disallowed; or, you can get a BS and a BA but not two BAs.

That is my understanding. I do think it takes some extra self-discipline to do either.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:

A single degree with two majors seems much more likely. This type of info. is usually public--when one graduated and with what degree(s). The Registrar might verify it.

Edit: Looking at BYU's web site, it currently doesn't seem to offer a second degree--only a second major. Of course, things may have been different in the past!
Either way, my hats definitely off to both of you.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With that, I will now stop digressing! I have found it interesting to read this thread and learn more of Mr. Parker. Starting martial arts in the late 70s, I heard of him frequently in the martial arts magazines, but though I started in a Kenpo variant (a Buffalo-area chain calling itself "American Self-Defense"), I quickly segued into Okinawan Karate and then arnis. So, although I read some Kenpo books just as I read books on many other arts out of curiousity, I never learned much about his background.

Latest Discussions