Kenpo in the 21st Century

Should Kenpo in the 21st Century...

• be changed dramatically to incorporate the new techniques and training methods coming to prominence

• evolve gradually, carefully adding and refining techniques within the bounds of the Kenpo system?

• preserve the traditions and teachings of Mr. Parker with little or no change?

• or should Kenpoists band together, find Old Fat Kenpoka and pulverize him?

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Uh oh, if Mr. Conatser jumps in I am toast. Both intellectually and physically. I definitely won't be able to do any of my new BJJ ground techniques against him!

R

RCastillo

Well, certainly most anything can use polishing, modification, but as a whole, the base of the system should be pretty much intact. That should provide for alot right there. What works for one, may not work for another. Let the nature of the individual, and the instructor work on that together to find the answer and apply where need be.

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Uh oh, if Mr. Conatser jumps in I am toast. Both intellectually and physically.

Don't worry, I got a "special Kryptonite" for him!:)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
Well, certainly most anything can use polishing, modification, but as a whole, the base of the system should be pretty much intact. That should provide for alot right there. What works for one, may not work for another. Let the nature of the individual, and the instructor work on that together to find the answer and apply where need be.

I think that's the best post you ever made!:asian:

Fastmover

Green Belt
Reaction score
When it is said the "base of the system should be pretty much intact," Im curious what the base is?:confused:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Fastmover
When it is said the "base of the system should be pretty much intact," Im curious what the base is?:confused:

I look at it as the base techniques that are already established, the groupings according to the type of attack, and how they relate. From there, as others have already taught me, the possibilities are endless.:asian:

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Kenpodoc, Sigung86:
I sincerely thank you for your thoughtful replies.

I think you may misunderstand my zealous support for BJJ. I do think BJJ is awesome, but Kenpo is my primary art. That's why I choose to call myself Old Fat Kenpoka and not Old Fat BJJ Newbie. I do think that Kenpo is awesome. I worry that some of us are occassionally too full of ourselves, too close-minded, and too reverential of the past. Rence ;-) my crusade to ask Kenpo people to consider alternatives.

c2Kenpo:
Mr. Sepulveda is one of the best examples of someone true to our heritage, carefully updating teaching methods, and looking toward the future. I briefly studied at Mr. Sepulveda's school in Santa Clara, CA where he and his staff offer excellent instruction in 18-technique EPAK curriculum, BJJ ground-fighting, and Kickboxing conditioning and technique. I think it is an excellent model for the future of Kenpo.

OFK
I actually agree with your zealous support of BJJ. Personally if I could I would also explore Systema and Gokor's grappling system.

I only suggested D) Pulverize OFK because Kenpoists love to attack one another.

Enjoy the BJJ, take it back to your school and find how it all fits together and then share that info with us all. Mr. Parker had a Black Belt in Judo and was an excellent Boxer. He constantly worked with artists from other systems and grew his own. I have problems with people who are afraid of change but also feel the kenpo world is best with a mixture of traditionalists and rengades.

Take the Kenpo techniques and try to end them with BJJ type submissions and take the BJJ and look for Kenpo/ striking solutions. It will all make you a better artist.

I'm not one of the 7 who voted to dramatically change the art but I will happily jump in and help defend against the 4 who want to pulverize you. (Sounds like fun and Kenpoka should stick together.)

Respectfully,

Jeff :D

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I agree with you here. I think Jeff's comment was a little overzealous but he's entitled to his opinion. He's not a bad guy so don't come down on him too hard.

This is why I stayed out of this conversation! For the last thread like this it came at me from all angles.

I for one say good luck, & happy training. :asian:

But I want to be a "Bad" guy. :D

Jeff

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpodoc
OFK
I actually agree with your zealous support of BJJ. Personally if I could I would also explore Systema and Gokor's grappling system.

I only suggested D) Pulverize OFK because Kenpoists love to attack one another.

Ok, I didn't take the comment how you meant it to be read.:asian:

R

RCastillo

:rofl: :rofl: I guess that comes in time.:confused:

I think I'm far from being a bad guy.

Oh yeah? Think again................:mad:

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah? Think again................:mad:

Listen:

You better be still warming up in your garage 'cause I'm on the way to take over Corpus Christi!:mad:

Oh yeah, and last but not least; I've got your number.:p

R

RCastillo

Listen:

You better be still warming up in your garage 'cause I'm on the way to take over Corpus Christi!:mad:

Oh yeah, and last but not least; I've got your number.:p

Ok, it's air conditioned, matted for your saftey, and convenience! Afterwards, you buy me Chinese dinner, Yes?:asian:

Good thing you're coming, need sparring partner!:eek:

OP
Old Fat Kenpoka

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpodoc: Thanks for your support. At least I know I will have medical aid when the other Kenpoists catch up to me.

I'd love to take my BJJ back to my Kenpo school. But my BJJ school is now occupying the building where my Kenpo school used to be. Please see my thread "My school went up in flames!" in the Bad Budo forum on this site for the sad story. here is the link: http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8462 I've been keeping my Kenpo up at several other schools in the last 8 years...

T

tonbo

It is good to hear that at least one person doesn't want to beat me up.

OFK:

No problemo, man. Like I said, everyone's got their own opinions. Personally, I have a very short list of people that I want to beat up. Real short. And its comprised of people that have *personally* pissed me off.....*seriously* pissed me off.

And you ain't on that list...;)

Nothin' but respect for the MT folks. :)

Peace--

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, it's air conditioned, matted for your saftey, and convenience!

Excellent!!!!!........After you are done throwing your roundhouse kicks I'll shoot the swing single leg takedown on 'ya.;)

Afterwards, you buy me Chinese dinner, Yes?

I'm not sure how that works but after beat up session is over 'ya won't feel like going out to eat anything.:p

Good thing you're coming, need sparring partner!

Sure thing, I haven't put pads on since being at Seig's place.:eek: You know I need to brush up on some skills.

Latest Discussions