Kenpo Going to Boxingmatch

born_fighting

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok I kickbox and stuff all the time, but i have decided to do this "so you think you can fight" PPV event, in March. The new ruels are strictly boxing the rounds 2 min. Now i have a nasty habbit of poping kicks in when in close and or taking peopel down, thats the free style fighter in me lol. Of course i don't use the fighting horse stance that many martial artest use so i cleared that one problem, but do's anyone have an idea of how i stop my little habbits? anyone have any good drills i can run.. I don't want to go out and get DQed becuse i take the guy down when i get my bell rung, i meen i have spent years building the muscle memory and these things are zen to me, Pure instinct now. also if anyone has pointers that would be great.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok I kickbox and stuff all the time, but i have decided to do this "so you think you can fight" PPV event, in March. The new ruels are strictly boxing the rounds 2 min. Now i have a nasty habbit of poping kicks in when in close and or taking peopel down, thats the free style fighter in me lol. Of course i don't use the fighting horse stance that many martial artest use so i cleared that one problem, but do's anyone have an idea of how i stop my little habbits? anyone have any good drills i can run.. I don't want to go out and get DQed becuse i take the guy down when i get my bell rung, i meen i have spent years building the muscle memory and these things are zen to me, Pure instinct now. also if anyone has pointers that would be great.

Personally I wouldn't be trying to suppress good habits just for the sake of an event. I'd be finding events closer to how I train. Exactly why I point spar very little now, because it ingrains certain habits that are detrimental to real fighting.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can be done with just a little mental training. I will, however, agree with Mr. Hawkins on this one. You would be better off fighting in a knockdown competition instead of the other.

As far as tips, condition, condition, condition. Conditioning will help you about as much as anything. I don't know if you train at a boxing club, but if you don't, then start.

OP
born_fighting

born_fighting

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yea the old habbits are hard to break, i still have the japanise ingraned in my training, meaning my hands are always low, and i get hit in the head a few times before i remember to keep the hands up. lol. conditioning is important as it comes, right after cardio, got any conditioning drills you can share, ones that will help from boxers?

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Have you seen any of these events? I've only seen one and all the participants I saw didn't have/didn't appear to have any fighting training at all. Just looked like they pit random people against each other for entertainment. That was a year or so ago, so maybe it's different now.

From what I saw most of them go for the instant-knock out rush. Mostly offense with little or no defense. So if you are prepared to block and counter rushing attacks you have a definite advantage. The event seems more like an exhibition to me rather than a fight. So I just say have fun with it.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
These fights are fast people throwing just anything. With boxing hands and mixing it up. Most often you can come out on top. Do your bag work Keeping the hands up Through singles and then flurries at the bag. Do some jogging as the better shape your in You will not gas out and others will Pick up the pace in round 2 and go in 3. You will find to That there will be a few boxers enter And then just brawlers High guard forarm block deflection Kenpo blocks will not help much Hit hit move hit. Do you have someone to spar with. If so train your hands under a little pressure there.

Warrior-Scholar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, our little club has some good and bad experiences in this matter. In order to prevent your real instincts from kicking in try and envision it very objectively. If you let your fear of pain or passions flame, then you might do something you or actually your opponent will regret!

Haven't you ever done limited sparring in which your weapons were limited? Just look at it that way. I do recommend having some of your buddies try to take your freakin' head off a few times with ample protective gear, just so you are prepared for a wild man. Actually, I think you would do better against a more technical boxer than a wild one. Use your Kenpo timing and distance to control the fight. If he evade, jam; if he jams, evade. blah blah blah
I like to work strikes or combos most boxers don't train that often. While some guys do use a type of corkscrew, I think it would surprise most. The corkscrew is nice against a wild puncher. Try double tapping a few times to screw with their head. I know many people on here will tell you to keep it simple...I agree, you can't work on all this in one fight! Pick a few things and stick to it...that's what boxers do.
One last note, most newbies in the boxing world do not cover their body. Work on generating power strikes to the body with gloves on.
Good Luck
Personally, you would be better off staying away from this kind of training. Building endurance is necessary for sport fighting, but can actually inhibit your explosive ability for an actual 30 second life and death encounter. There are documented changes in body chemistry etc. Oh heck, what do I know anyway...kick some tail!

OP
born_fighting

born_fighting

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up and all that good advice, one question.

"Building endurance is necessary for sport fighting, but can actually inhibit your explosive ability for an actual 30 second life and death encounter. There are documented changes in body chemistry etc."

were is a good source for more info on that. thats Something i should read, i have been doing loads of endurance and cardio, and dont want to loose the "explosive Ability".

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
These fights are not that bad really. You just have to out fight the other person. Some do just start throwing punches some try to box. Many are not in great shape. Going to the body well it helps but not that much. You need to work mid and high level. Drop a mid level punch and go up to the head. Most are head hunters. One key is to not work yourself into a corner this cuts your movement off. Round 1 It will be fast Work your movement close and back off unless you score good and then followup fast. You will have people that will rush trying to keep you backing up Do not back up much press into them with some strong hits to back them off This often gets there respect if they get nailed a few good ones. Now the other things is you want to show your win A crowd favarite Gets the win at times if it is close. And on a break stay coverd until your clear I have seen often a hit at a break brings cheers And judges react to it. Watch people that throw over the top on a lunge cover and hit. Train your hands it is not hard to use the hands and keep the feet down. And this type of fight will not effect your out put later It will let you know how to handle a fightbetter. Besides several now days use head gear in these fights promoters want KOs And to give the audiance some action. Over the past 25 years the people who had better boxing skills performed better then the brawlers Do you have a friend that can second for you or will the promoters allow this. At least the friend can help warm you up And most often will be allowed to go back in the fighters area with you. Over the past 25 years I have trained at least 20 people for this type of fight. And Its Not much money a thousand dollar win Several fights some were 2 night fights Thats where you have to be in shape as you get a little sore But it depends on how many fights you get Often 3 fights at least Depends on your skill how easy the fights are. You might just get hit 1 or 2 times at times But do not work so much on your blocks better to slkip weave or move Not unless you want to get hit more often. M/A blocks well they do not help to much in the ring cover hit move hit .

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
were is a good source for more info on that. thats Something i should read, i have been doing loads of endurance and cardio, and dont want to loose the "explosive Ability".

If you have good cardio then it's just a matter of altering your training. Do intervals when you train - like fast for 10 rest 10, fast 10 rest 10 and so forth and so on building up (20s & 30s) to longer intervals for a whole round. I'm talking about running, punching fast to slow, and other various self torture I mean training.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as tips, condition, condition, condition. Conditioning will help you about as much as anything. I don't know if you train at a boxing club, but if you don't, then start.

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Most people who have never tried it are amazed at how much cardio goes into a good boxing style.

Get yourself to a gym, and get in the ring. Don't wait until the event to try it out.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great ways to condition for this typ of event are to work the heavy bag for several rounds and then work punch mitts. The punch mitts give you a chance to have someone spur you on and work you like crazy.

And Rutheford is right on the money. If you want to be a runner, you run. If you want to be a boxer, you________. Thats right, you box.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Correct. Also take into account of your possibility of success, or, lack there of, and what it would mean for your physical well being. If you are going into boxing, you'll be comepeting against those that Box all the time. They've spent 100% of their time and energy doing it. You're, as of now, spending maybe half yours, being a kick boxer. Their boxing skills will be sharper than yours until you devote all your time to boxing. So, I agree, if you want to box than box, kick box, then kick box. Make some sort of committment. Good luck in your endeavor!

Shovel Hook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Whatever it takes, make a good defensive posture second nature (hands up, elbows guarding body, chin tucked, etc.) The Sweet Science. Many things you have to be doing with your body to be a good boxer. That's what I find so intriguing, to practice till these fundamentals are automatic. All the different combinations you can put together to work for you on one guy at one point in time. But it can be pretty tough to start out.
I once submitted my info for application to a Toughman and had the same concerns as you. I have never had good boxing skills (poor footwork and defensive movement, bad timing of punches) and worried about getting beat when limited to boxing rules when it could be a completely different outcome doing whatever we want. But...it is a sport, a competition. The nature of combat sports makes the emotions of winning and losing extreme, but it is just boxing. Just a game. Recreation and entertainment (in this context, don't get me wrong). Not life and death combat.
I think you will do just fine if your training is good. I would just try to remove any passion or thought of it being a 'fight' as opposed to boxing match, and your instinctive reactions will not come so freely. The hard part will be sticking to what is allowed, if you get into trouble. In sparring have your people really put the pressure on, have them come in fresh when you're dead, and have them go all out. Then you'll see whether or not you'll kick or bodyslam or whatever to your opponent that night.

By March you could/should make a huge amount of progress. Best of luck.
Oh for conditioning, traditional cardio and calisthenics, later, intervals. Also farther down the road once you have developed your skills, plyometrics would be a good thing to boost explosiveness and handspeed.And there are other little tricks like sledgehammer training. But for now concentrate on boxing correctly first and foremost. Like I said compared to other things you could learn, this is a lot to to take in at once.
Maybe you could keep a journal on your preparation for this bout. I would definately like to read it and follow your progress.

OP
born_fighting

born_fighting

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First off thanks for all the advice and pointers. mainly i like to fight im good at it, but im just doing this one to make a name for myself in my comunity. Small area and the fight is Put on tv, so people will see me either win or lose and decide to either train with us or with someone else. Im generaly a frestyle fighter but im good with striking more so then my Submission skills, and i figured not only would this event be a good learning experiance it would also let me know exactily were i stand.. Have the last years been a big wast of time or ineed am i able to fight anyone in any situation and come out on top? and like i said i am training my *** off for it.. moreso then normal.. i don't have a job other then kenpo, so i eat sleep and work kenpo. im in the dojo for 4 hrs + a day most days... i run the drills and group classes and make all the fighters work harder then the none fighters, my sensi pushes me to push them to push myself. it's a good circle of Iron there. again thanks for the advice i will get into the ring and i will work the piss out of the heavy bag and mit holder will have soar hands when im done. Cheers.

Latest Discussions