Kenpo Forms

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tigdra i do not know epak and my experience is not your experience. i will leave things here.

marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
My point in the most simplistic fashion falls into two possibilities.

1.)

If kenpo is a defensive system

Then techniques show you the tools to defend one self, such as concepts and correct execution of strikes

And sparring and partner exercises should give you the ability such as timing, distance etc.

But kenpo forms only repeat concepts.

So kenpo forms become a repetition of concepts, and in many cases a repetition of what you have already learned just put together in a different order. In other words my belief is that in a defense system, such as kenpo, katas don’t at this time serve a sufficient purpose. This is where I make reference to defense systems such as krav maga, which happens to be very successful, proven, and efficient defensive system.

2.)

Now if you believe that kenpo is a martial art then techniques teach you concepts and technique to execute your art in a correct manner.

Fighting challenges the students to explore sport defensive tactics and fine tune timing, distance etc.

And forms should increase stamina, conditioning and flexibility, But kenpo forms as an art don’t do this.

(first form in kenpo usually is short one) and unless you do 20 times super fast, you aren’t going to get any stamina, conditioning or flexibility. The shaolin kenpo kata 1 that I saw neither shows much cardiovascular, stamina, etc. The form I saw wouldn’t get me sore just by doing it 5 times fast or slow, yet I know a basic kung fu form (first form in many shaolin kung fu schools) that weather you do it fast or slow 5 times the next day you are going to be sore and yet it is only consisted of 4 techniques repeated on both sides equaling 8 techniques.

So if you think kenpo is an art then it extremely lacks and artistic, aerobic, flexibility, etc. system of forms such as many kung fu schools.

*******One side note for those who don’t read the entire thread, there are styles such as shotokan and goju ryu which consist of mostly forms and some basic techniques. Some people consider these styles art and others consider them defense either way these style justify having their forms due to the lack of techniques, hence learning your techniques through your forms.*********
Kata 1 (Villari) like any form can & should be done in such it is a stamina workout, ie dynamic tension or speed/extension striking...Kata 1 I think is an awesome fighting form.....simple, effective and technical.....

But I can also see your point....once you've made a decision that something no longer has value....dump it and move on.....find that new something that you feel does develop you in the things that are near & dear to you.....
something my grandfather told me and it took along time before I understood...."not all grass-eaters eat the same thing" thank goodness for that...
peace,
j.

Latest Discussions