Kenpo for Lefties?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something, if I did then I apologize, but there is another thing to think about here and that is:

We train right and left handed, and that is how it should be. But now think of it not as right and left handed but how about the thought of open and closed stance? I'll try to illustrate below ...

Closed Stance
This is when both fighters have the same foot forward. Either both have the right foot forward, or both have the left foot forward.

Open Stance
This is when the fighters have opposite feet forward. Either your right foot is forward and thier left foot, or your right and their left.

This matters along with with hand is punching. Why? Cause in kempo, as with many other arts, positioning is all important as far as applying checks, sweeps, hockdowns, etc.

As an example, if the technique you have been training calls for a right leg hockdown and they have the left leg forward, good luck. The same thought applies to a technique that calls for a leg check to the right, if it is back, you'd better be in a bit deeper.

Just another thought ... any further ideas on how this relates to this thread?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yin/Yang?

LONE KIMONO (front left hand lapel grab)
DELAYED SWORD (front- right lapel grab)

LONE KIMONO (front left hand lapel grab)

* 1. Standing naturally, step back (to 6 o'clock) with your left foot when your opponents grabs your lapel with his left hand. Simultaneously pin his left hand to your chest with your left hand and deliver a right upward strike against his left elbow just above the joint thus causing the elbow to break as you pivot into a right neutral bow.
* 2. Then circle your right arm over and down (counter clockwise) with an nward-downward strike against opponent's left forearm. Make sure that your opponent's left arm is driven down and diagonally to your left.
* 3. After cocking your right hand slightly toward you with your right palm up, deliver a right outward chop to the right side of opponent's neck; stance throughout is still a right neutral bow. Cock your left hand at your solar plexus, ready to check when needed.

1. DELAYED SWORD (front- right lapel grab)

* 1. With your feet together step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance, facing 12:00, while simultaneously executing a right inward block to the right inner wrist of your opponent. At the same time position your left hand at solar-plexus level as a precautionary check against further action.
* 2. Immediately slide your right foot back into a cat stance.
* 3. Without hesitation deliver a right front snap ball kick to your opponent's groin.
* 4. Plant your right foot (back lo its point of origin) into a right neutral bow, facing 12:00, while employing Marriage of Gravity as you strike with a right outward handsword to the right side of your opponent's neck. Immediately slide your right hand (after the strike) to the right wrist of you opponent as a precautionary check.

OP
The Master

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
But those are not mirrored techniques. There is a variation as written.

Both this and the child thread on KenpoTalk have been interesting reading. I find the varying attitudes interesting. For those who do not train techniques from both sides, I suggest an experiment. Strap your right arm to your side, and practise.

You will find the puzzle a challenging one to solve.

BigKiai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I practice my techniques, forms, and combinations/DM's on both sides. After I'm comfortable with a new form, I'll begin working pieces of it on the left side, and then put it all together.

I write left handed, but I throw with my right hand/arm. Strongest leg is right leg. In a perfect world, I'd play bass guitar right handed and electric guitar left handed.

Latest Discussions