Stances in sparring

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive been at SKK for over a year now (cant believe its been that long already) and Ive noticed different stances in my material. How can these stances be used in sparring, if they can? What is the benifit of using different stances?

B

I just realized that this might be better off in the general MA forum, i dont know though. If it needs to be moved could a MOD take care of that for me. Thanks

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Ive been at SKK for over a year now (cant believe its been that long already) and Ive noticed different stances in my material. How can these stances be used in sparring, if they can? What is the benifit of using different stances?

B

I just realized that this might be better off in the general MA forum, i dont know though. If it needs to be moved could a MOD take care of that for me. Thanks

Could you clarify what ou are asking? Are you saying there are stances that you have that you don't see in sparring. If so give us some examples so we can discuss them (examples w/ description of the stance please).

Most stances are just flashpoints in time, most stances are transitional where you won't see someone sitting in it for any period of time.

Lamont

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is harder than I thought to explain. I see one of the BB's in my class when we are sparing he will come up into cat stances some times or in to low deep stances, my instructor will do the same thing when I am sparring with him. Is there any purpose to these stances?

B

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is harder than I thought to explain. I see one of the BB's in my class when we are sparing he will come up into cat stances some times or in to low deep stances, my instructor will do the same thing when I am sparring with him. Is there any purpose to these stances?

B

Sparring is a strategic game, you can use different stance to confuse your opponent each stance have is own use, ask your teacher to explain this to you, and practice, practice again and again and again...

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

B

Yes, it is likely distraction. As Lamont stated, stances are really only flashpoints in time. If you take a photograph of someone at the moment of full power in any given technique, the position he is in should be the stance being described. Other stances are transitory, such as the cat stance. It is likely that your teachers are using these stances as distractions.

Latest Discussions