Kenjutsu or similar, Dallas/Ft Worth TX

godmanliving

White Belt
Reaction score
I normally don't post on a forum without doing a searching first but im having a hard time with the search functions on this forum. So, I think ill just go ahead and ask, does anyone have any leads or information on Japanese sword schools (more specifically, Kenjutsu style stuff, excluding Kendo) in the North Texas area, specifically Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, or Irving. I have heard that Akido schools tend to teach a form of the Japanese sword. If my terminology is not correct, I apologize but this is something I have been trying to figure out for a while. I have always had a big interest in learning this kind of stuff. I purchased a book called Bokken: Art of the Japanese Sword by Dave Lowery and have been trying to get a basic idea of the forms and such but I would really like to find a school up here in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex area if there is one. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sir I see you are in my neck of the woods, so here goes go by Lang Sons Traders on Abram and ask Ms Waa who she would recogmend. I am sure she can point you in the rught direction.

On a side note we have a meet and greet section for all new members to introduce themselfs.

Welcome abroad and enjoy.

OP
G

godmanliving

White Belt
Reaction score
Awsome, thank you very much. Do you know where about on Abrams in relation to Cooper or Collins?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is two block west of Collin and four blocks east of Cooper. Let her know I sent you, my last name is Stoker.

OP
G

godmanliving

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I didnt think it would be that easy. So I should tell Ms. Waa that Stoker sent me and ask her for recommendations on Kenjutsu instructers? Thank you again.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, I didnt think it would be that easy. So I should tell Ms. Waa that Stoker sent me and ask her for recommendations on Kenjutsu instructers? Thank you again.

No problem every down Division street stop by my school it is called Twin Dragons, anytime after 7 pm.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are meaning by "kenjutsu" as kendo is pretty much the best you'll find for what is commonly termed "kenjutsu". There are several schools of the Japanese sword arts in the DFW area.

John Ray out in Denton is always my first recommendation. He teaches Muso Jikiden Eishin ryu iaido, which probably won't fit with your definition of kenjutsu ... http://www.dentondojo.com/

Bob Lange teaches Tenshin ryu out in Mesquite ... http://nikkodojo.net/index.htm

Joe Bostick teaches the Higo line of Shin Shin Sekiguchi Ryu battojutsu out in Cleburne. He doesn't have a web presence, but I think I've got his email tucked away somewhere if you're interested.

I teach Kobu Shin ryu and Meishi ha Mugai ryu in Plano ... http://www.kobushinryu.net/

There used to be a group out around Lewisville that taught SMR jo and iaido, but I've lost their contact info and you would have to track them down.

Cheers,

Will Schutt

White Belt
Reaction score
There used to be a group out around Lewisville that taught SMR jo and iaido, but I've lost their contact info and you would have to track them down.

My small Shinto Muso Ryu group (http://jodokai.org) used to train in Lewisville, but now split time between Carrollton and Dallas. We've never taught iaido, so maybe you weren't thinking of us. The only other SMR in the area is Jack Bieler up in Denton (http://dentonaikido.com), who studies SMR under Kaminoda Sensei in addition to the Karl Geis system of Jodo.

John Ray also receives my highest recommendation as far as swordsmanship in the area.

In addition to kendo, DFWKIK also teaches iaido. They are a good group.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Will!
I was under the impression that SMR also included an iaido curriculum along with jo. This was apparently an erroneous assumption for which I apologize. Learned something today though! :)

Thanks for the link and the correction!

Paul

Will Schutt

White Belt
Reaction score
There is no formal set of iai/batto within SMR proper, however there are several kata in which uchidachi (the swordsman in this case) draws the bokuto from his obi. There is a rhyme and reason to the various draws, but I would be hesitant to refer to it as an iaido curriculum.

We do practice the draws with iaito/shinken (as they are in the kata and as they would be "for real") to be sure that we don't fall into the realm of just yanking a piece of wood out of our belt, but these are just solo exercises to make our paired kata better. Some teachers have even formalized these sword-drawing exercises to various extents, adding chiburi and noto and perhaps some additional movements, but I doubt any would refer to that as part of SMR proper.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for that. SMR has always been on my list of things to pursue once I have the time (whenever the heck that might be :) ).

Latest Discussions