Keiko Osame / Osoji

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're not quite following. What I'm saying is that, if you want to present such things as an example of your dojo, go for it... but to make a statement that "For us, as classical martial artists, it is the ONE training session not to miss!", implying that that is the standard for classical Japanese martial artists, is simply you misrepresenting both yourself, and us. It is, frankly, not the case. As for the fantasy delusions of "it's where we pay our martial debts... symbolically dying...", that is just bizarre to the majority of classical martial artists who don't follow your particular teacher... who is rather well known for making a whole bunch of stuff up to cover his lack of understanding, and to dress up a romantic delusion and fantasy that he feeds you guys, based around this baseless idea of what a "professional warrior/martial artist" is...

So, what I'm saying is, until you get to understand just how out of whack you guys are with the vast majority of other classical systems, dojo, and practitioners, how about you don't speak for us, yeah?

In teresting...I guess that since our classical training does not match up with what you believe to be classical training, we are wrong, and you are right...OK...sure.

Nope, what I am saying is that what you are presenting is simply not the way things are done in classical martial arts, classical art dojo, or Japan in the main at all... not that you're "wrong", you're most likely right according to your dojo... just that you're making a very false assumption that what you do is even close to what any other classical martial artist would recognise as "normal".

Oh, and it's not just me... we've gone through this before, but these bizarre ideas you come here with are always seen as rather odd, to say the least, by all koryu practitioners here. I've shown other koryu practitioners and teachers your teachers website, and they all have the same reaction... "Does he have any idea what he's talking about?"

So, what makes it that our experience in training that is "different' is wrong and yours is right?

Dude, it's not "right and wrong"... it's that what you do is highly atypical... so don't think that it in any way represents or resembles classical training anywhere other than your dojo (of course, with the amount of ideas that have little to no basis in anything actually taught in Classical Japanese arts, I'd ask just how "classical" your dojo is... but that's me....).

Most...hmm...so since it says most, and you come across one that does, it cannot be classical...I do believe there is a flaw in that logic. I like Dave Lowry's stuff, it is a good reference. Did you read it? Where does he say that it does not exist?

You really are having issues with your reading, yeah? Most classical arts and dojo pay absolutely no attention to Keiko Osame at all... a number of modern systems, based in modern school systems, do... that doesn't mean paying attention to it makes you not classical, but it does mean you're on the outer boundary of the field... your dojo does, great, well done you... but that does not mean that it's something in all dojo.

All I'm saying is that, when you speak of the way you approach things in your dojo, only speak for your dojo. You don't seem to have a clue about the rest of the community or any other classical systems at all.

But when you re-read Lowry's book... take note of just how much is not what you see and do... and how much you do that is not dealt with or seen there...

Latest Discussions