Fudoshin Ryu

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
A place opened down the road from me called "Fudoshin Ryu" that advertises as a classical Japanese Kenjutsu Ryu. Could anyone tell me what "Fudoshin" means? I have the impression that it relates to spontaneity of movement (related to Mushin, then?) when attacked - but I'm not sure.

Thank you.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

One translation is "immovable mind/spirit". I have never heard of it being a style before,more of a concept in a style.:idunno:

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yea... its a very important concept in kendo, but I've never heard of it being a traditional style. Its not listed on Koryu.com, so I'd doubt its validity.

R

Ronald R. Harbers

Immutable in heart​

A Warrior state when coupled with "Iwa No Mi" - "body like a rock"​

The state in which the mind is not troubled by anything external. A person knows no fear when faced with danger, aggression or unexpected events. It is total impassivity before the hazards of life

Fudoshin Bujutsu is a Martial Art based upon incorporating teaching methods, philosophies and techniques from a wide range of varied traditional styles.
Mainly drawing on the influence from Aikido, Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu, Jujutsu and Oriental weaponry; Fudoshin Bujutsu is a well developed system of combat.

[size=+1]Fudoshin[/size]
A Japanese word that roughly translates as "Immutable Mind". First used in the writings of Miyamoto Musashi, a 16th Century Samurai and legendary swordsman.
It means a Warrior state of mind, obtained when the mind, body and spirit become one.
Knowledge, Ability and Courage.
When such state is reached, all fighting abilities become possible and great things can be achieved. Achievement is only through the study of technique. First the body must be trained in order to obtain:- Strength, Stamina, Co-ordination, Agility, Flexibility.
Then when the body, The Vessel, is ready it must be filled with Knowledge and trained in Technique.
Karate, Judo, Ju-Jutsu, Weapons, Kung-Fu, Aikido, Etc., are ALL segments of a gigantic circle. By joining the segments the whole circle of Martial Arts is formed. So in order to reach FUDOSHIN, all segments must be studied.
But only in their original form
Modern day versions would not be suitable as they embrace different concepts. I have put together a complete method for FUDOSHIN training. I do not believe it can be changed or altered in any way and still succeed

Prof. R. Lawrence, Judan

Check his site out www.fudoshinbujutsu.com

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, within the Japanese context/meaning, would the 'immutable' state be more 'rigid' like an oak against the storm or fluid like a piece of driftwood that floats and rides the current without changing it's state because of the water?

The reason I ask is the 'body like a rock' combination. It sounds like a variation on a theme of yin/yang, hard soft, goju...and the like.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The "fudou" of "fudoshin", referring to "lacking movement" doesn't have to do with physical movement as much as focus, I would say. Takuan explains this in The Unfettered Mind by pointing out that if one's mind is focused on one instant of time, it will get 'caught' by that instant, and the body will be unable to react to the future. Takuan goes on to explain that keeping the mind still by storing it within oneself allows one to be aware of all things and react to them appropriately. Its a tough concept to understand, but I'd direct you to that book for a deeper explanation.