KARATE'S RISING BLOCK & BOXING BY Terrible Tim 2X Heavyweight Boxing Champion of the World

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like the discussions and comparing our notes.

Hey Tim, good to see you back!

Just a reminder if you have time in your schedule ... some months back you posted an AMA thread. A number of us posted questions for you, but I think you must have gotten busy and forgotten to come back and answer any of them.

The thread is here. If you're still up for it, I know we'd love to see your responses.

OP
Terrible Tim Witherspoon
Reaction score
Hey Tim, good to see you back!

Just a reminder if you have time in your schedule ... some months back you posted an AMA thread. A number of us posted questions for you, but I think you must have gotten busy and forgotten to come back and answer any of them.

The thread is here. If you're still up for it, I know we'd love to see your responses.
Sorry about that! I will answer them today! Got sidetracked training some fighters and got away from the online world. Now I am going to be fully focused on building my online presence. Thank you for reminding me!

Sifu Ken of 8 Tigers

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In fighting, your goal is to hurt your opponent.

That's a primitive approach, both ethically and pragmatically, IMO.

If an animal fights, it is either for its own gain (food, access to mating pool) or its own survival. Neither of those goals is to hurt the other creature(s), except as one possible means to a specific end. Thus it will often do things that do NOT involve harm to another creature(s), such as standing off, flight, causing confusion by various means, shock, and repulsion to discourage or distance itself from danger. If they catch prey, it is not to make them suffer, but to achieve and maintain possession so they may ingest it. In either case, it is about control.

If one thinks of harm as a goal rather than ONE option of means toward a necessary end, they are worse than an animal. And if they can't control, repel, or evade an opponent without harming them, they have a very limited martial skills set.

I have always taught that it takes little skill to hurt or even kill someone. It takes much more to not need to harm them.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should look at what killer whales some times do with their pretty. Domestic cats will do the sand with miceand won't even eat it.
There's at least one recorded case out there of a 7 Legged octopus grabbing and using a powerful stinging mauve jellyfish as a defensive shield weapon. Wonder what went through its mind (octopus has neurons in those tentacles).

It's hard to know what animals really think, which is why watching them is insightful.

Scientists just discovered that dogs actually cry tears when they see their owners. So if dogs can get happy tears, you have to wonder what animals think when they hunt.

Crocodiles and alligators look really mean. Maybe they are on the inside. Don't want to ever find out.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If one thinks of harm as a goal rather than ONE option of means toward a necessary end, they are worse than an animal.
If it's an option then it can be a goal. Just because you have one goal doesn't mean you can't have multiple goals. Martial arts techniques hurt for a reason. If in attacking you and you cannot hurt me then what will stop my attack?

I guess I'll be worst than an animal because eye pokes and joint breaks weren't designed to make may attacker feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always find it interesting when people who don't understand karate techniques have a lot to say about what's wrong with them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's at least one recorded case out there of a 7 Legged octopus grabbing and using a powerful stinging mauve jellyfish as a defensive shield weapon. Wonder what went through its mind (octopus has neurons in those tentacles).

It's hard to know what animals really think, which is why watching them is insightful.

Scientists just discovered that dogs actually cry tears when they see their owners. So if dogs can get happy tears, you have to wonder what animals think when they hunt.

Crocodiles and alligators look really mean. Maybe they are on the inside. Don't want to ever find out.
I had apersonal experience while trying to get a spider to eat an ant. I watched the spider make a decision between the two ants. It had 2 choices. Attack the healthy ant or attack the wounded at. At first it looked at the healthy ant, then it looked at the wounded ant. It did this twice in an indecisive manner as if it was sure of which on to go for. After about 10 seconds it made up it's mind and went for the weak ant and ignored the other. The spider didn't act in an extinction manner. It moved as if it was confused and trying to work things out. I had a hunting dog that would catch and kills birds for the fun of it. She was really good at it. I think that age was probably baiting the birds because the birds would often fly into the fenced area where the dogs were.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hello.maybe a stupid question but anyway I’ll ask if there are fans of Conor McGregor and MMA in general here?
Welcome to MartialTalk, toliktolik, hope you enjoy it here.

I'm a fan of MMA as well as a fan of Martial Arts in general.

I enjoy watching McGregor's matches, most were quite entertaining. The man sure does know the fight business, that's for sure.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
These are two very different questions. I'm a fan of MMA. I'm not a fan of Conor McGregor.
He executed a an almost perfect Tai Chi style attack in one fight, and used it to pummel to KO. Shoulder strike to stun, follow by a wave of fists. I'll look it up.

Nasty.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a primitive approach, both ethically and pragmatically, IMO.

If an animal fights, it is either for its own gain (food, access to mating pool) or its own survival. Neither of those goals is to hurt the other creature(s), except as one possible means to a specific end. Thus it will often do things that do NOT involve harm to another creature(s), such as standing off, flight, causing confusion by various means, shock, and repulsion to discourage or distance itself from danger. If they catch prey, it is not to make them suffer, but to achieve and maintain possession so they may ingest it. In either case, it is about control.

If one thinks of harm as a goal rather than ONE option of means toward a necessary end, they are worse than an animal. And if they can't control, repel, or evade an opponent without harming them, they have a very limited martial skills set.

I have always taught that it takes little skill to hurt or even kill someone. It takes much more to not need to harm them.
You need to do some research on primate behavior to start. Then, take a look at some Mustelidae members. I can give you some good examples if you would like.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you are inside the Croc you already found out. Alligators can be be quite gentle as long as you don’t give wrong cues. Similarly, Lions will often ignore people unless they limp.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great film, The Ghost and the Darkness. Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas.

Do you know of the Tsavo Man Eaters?

A rare event. I was actually talking about captive lions that I worked with, though I did not state that important detail. Initially, no one realized that it was two lions rather than one. Those two lions were very likely brothers. The most interesting fact about it in my opinion was the completely different methods those two lions used. They were credited with over 135 kills combined. I believe this number is somewhat exaggerated, but it was certainly dozens at the very least. Most of the kills by one lion happened at night and without attracting notice. By contrast, the other lion boldly charged into groups of daytime workers, sometimes killing several in one attack. Usually lions at rest will just plain ignore most movement, feign a bad limp and you will most certainly pique their interest. It is their job to deal with the infirm after all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen lions in the wild. Scary looking cats, made me uncomfortable.

Sure glad I wasn't limping. :0

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
This kind of rising block is shown in a lot of the old boxing manuals. Get one from the late 1800s or early 1900s and you will see lots of similarities to karate techniques. When you think about the karate moves and the timeframe it makes a lot of sense. Unel Wellington encouraged us to think of the basic blocks and techniques as templates - just simple shapes to help us learn the angles of attack and defense. Once learnt and understood we are free to adapt and evolve the moves to suit our individual body and character.

Last edited:

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
This kind of rising block is shown in a lot of the old boxing manuals. Get one from the late 1800s or early 1900s and you will see lots of similarities to karate techniques. When you think about the karate moves and the timeframe it makes a lot of sense. Unel Wellington encouraged us to think of the basic blocks and techniques as templates - just simple shapes to help us learn the angles of attack and defense. Once learnt and understood we are free to adapt and evolve the moves to suit our individual body and character.
That Wellington guy reportedly had a beef with a lot of people.

Latest Discussions