karate moves in mma

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is it just me or are there more and more karate moves showing up in mma?
i just got both fedors and anderson silvas books and to my suprise a alot of the punches are shotokan karate stuff theres lunging punches round house punches(fedors looping punch) stepping punches ect gsp uses alot of lung punches and back kicks and then of course theres lyoto who uses lot of sweeps and just about everything else. i have not studied karate since i was a kid so im not trying to find something thats not there i just think its ironic that the best mma fighters in the world are incorparating traditional martial arts into there training.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frankly? There've always been there. Many of the top MMA fighters are also karateka. However, people have just been focusing on the BJJ etc part of MMA.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or are there more and more karate moves showing up in mma?
i just got both fedors and anderson silvas books and to my suprise a alot of the punches are shotokan karate stuff theres lunging punches round house punches(fedors looping punch) stepping punches ect gsp uses alot of lung punches and back kicks and then of course theres lyoto who uses lot of sweeps and just about everything else. i have not studied karate since i was a kid so im not trying to find something thats not there i just think its ironic that the best mma fighters in the world are incorparating traditional martial arts into there training.
Thats why it is called mixed martial arts. But Tez3 is right, the ground game seemed to always show through more.
icon7.gif

strikesubmit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i just think its ironic that the best mma fighters in the world are incorparating traditional martial arts into there training.

actually...the best fighters have ALWAYS been incorporating "traditional" moves into their arsenal.

come to think of it...most of the techniques used are not anything "new" so i don't personally think it's ironic at all.

Anderson Silva trains in Muay Thai...how far back does that heritage go? Karo Parysian uses Judo...a whole slew of fighters come from wrestling (Greco-Roman, freestyle, etc.)...hell, you can't really consider Brazilian jiu-jitsu new by any means either. it was "official" way back during the 20's, but it's lineage comes from Judo.

what i haven't been able to understand is that people tend to think that MMA is some new type of martial art. it is not.

it's an amalgam of styles...traditional styles primarily. if anything, MMA is more of a mind-set or training regiment or i dare even say philosophy, that Bruce Lee stressed back in the day, but has now finally become prominent.

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Frankly? There've always been there. Many of the top MMA fighters are also karateka. However, people have just been focusing on the BJJ etc part of MMA.

Totally agreed.

It's amazing how many times the whole MMA vs TMA nonsense comes up when in reality, as you say, many of the top MMA fighters have a background in traditional arts like Karate.

Go figure.:)

TCG

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Agreed... MMA really is supposed to mean Mixed Martial Arts. That implies many arts, newer, older, far eastern, home grown, whatever... Just finding what works for the street or for competition

OP
C

chav buster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was talking in respects to mma largely consisting of sports martial arts e.g bjj boxing thai boxing and wrestling since its conseption but now there are tma moves having an effect.

strikesubmit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was talking in respects to mma largely consisting of sports martial arts e.g bjj boxing thai boxing and wrestling since its conseption but now there are tma moves having an effect.

actually careful there...

the UFC started out with practitioners representing various martial arts since it's conception.

recall when there were sumo guys, kenpo guys, karate guys...and hell, i remember watching a NINJA guy fill in for the finale of UFC 3 (or around that time) because Royce couldn't continue...and win it all!!!

so in essence it started with so-called "TMA."

but overall, i see where yer coming from.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Most "traditional" arts encourage some sporting aspect, including Karate. BJJ and Muay Thai enjoy as fine a pedigree as any OTHER traditional martial art, and even pre-date some of the more popular "TMA"s. Wrestling has a long Western tradition that is very similar in many respects to the development of Eastern Arts. Finally, Western Boxing isn't called the Sweet Science for nothing.

I think that a distinction can be made between weapons arts and unarmed arts, such as can be made between, say, Arnis and Boxing. I also think that a distinction can be drawn between Self Defense focused arts, such as Kajukenbo or Krav Maga and... pretty much the rest.

But in my opinion, while each style has a focus and a curriculum that is unique, there is little difference between BJJ, Karate, TKD, Wing Chun and most others. The most significant difference is how each is commonly trained and this is what we're seeing in the UFC and MMA in general. If TKD is trained with full contact in mind, it can do well. Karate, the same.

As others have said, MMA is a melting pot of what works. Karate is as much a part of it as anything.

strikesubmit

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most "traditional" arts encourage some sporting aspect, including Karate. BJJ and Muay Thai enjoy as fine a pedigree as any OTHER traditional martial art, and even pre-date some of the more popular "TMA"s. Wrestling has a long Western tradition that is very similar in many respects to the development of Eastern Arts. Finally, Western Boxing isn't called the Sweet Science for nothing.

I think that a distinction can be made between weapons arts and unarmed arts, such as can be made between, say, Arnis and Boxing. I also think that a distinction can be drawn between Self Defense focused arts, such as Kajukenbo or Krav Maga and... pretty much the rest.

But in my opinion, while each style has a focus and a curriculum that is unique, there is little difference between BJJ, Karate, TKD, Wing Chun and most others. The most significant difference is how each is commonly trained and this is what we're seeing in the UFC and MMA in general. If TKD is trained with full contact in mind, it can do well. Karate, the same.

As others have said, MMA is a melting pot of what works. Karate is as much a part of it as anything.

..what he said :)

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chav Buster, very cool name! Are you from UK?

Most fighters I know as from a TMA background notably TKD and karate with some coming from Muay Thai. I've always seen a lot of karate in MMA and don't see it as a new thing. In the UK the grappling backgrounds are mostly Judo or BJJ as we don't have the school wrestling background they have in the States.

Latest Discussions