Karate in a Victorian dress

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting experiment, and some well-considered conclusions. Good fodder for writers, and a reminder to any of us who train with self-defense in mind.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there anyone here who tries on clothes you're thinking of buying and NOT moving around to see if they restrict you enough to impact your striking skills?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, us CMA guys train in just about anything we wear so.........I mean I have trained in jeans, sweats, dress clothes, shorts, winter clothes, sneakers, boots, socks, bare feet, crocks, etc... however I have never trained in a victorian dress....or any dress for that matter.

Is there anyone here who tries on clothes you're thinking of buying and NOT moving around to see if they restrict you enough to impact your striking skills?

Not exactly, but I have tried on clothes and think about whether or not it restricts my movement

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a rookie, my first real dojo was just a couple blocks from my first boxing gym. Between them was a men's clothing store, Shermans.

There was an old guy salesman, Eli. He helped us all pick out sharp clothes because we had the fashion sense of chimpanzees. I try on a pair of pants that I think are too tight to kick in. He says, "Go ahead, try it out". So I throw a high kick and rip the inseam. He says, "You were right," He tosses them to the side and gets me another pair.

Within a few months every guy in the gym is buying clothes there, just so they can kick in the pants to see if they're kick friendly. Then the boxers came in, throwing combos in sport coats to make sure they could move right in them.

Eli made a fortune off us young fools. And good for him, he was a nice man.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you farm, especially doing farm work in the summer, clothing choice is not something you really think about. Loose sure but there are many days your shirt is off by the end of the day.
It is a unique slant on things and kudos for taking it all the way home. With no grappling and only one very low kick I give her extra points for being aware of the conditions.
I wish we had a thumbs up emoji.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I the only one who came to this thread thinking Tony was wearing a dress?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, even when I try on suits, I tend to pay attention to that. I like them fitted, and that means I like them with some stretch built in, so I can get pretty much a full range of motion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought about this, and I can't thing of more pointless experiment which has such an obvious conclusion, a whales bone corset, will restrict your mtorments !, really, what the follow up, doing judo on roller skates is tricky
Then you missed most of the article. The corset wasn't the most restrictive part.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've thought about this, and I can't thing of more pointless experiment which has such an obvious conclusion, a whales bone corset, will restrict your mtorments !, really, what the follow up, doing judo on roller skates is tricky
You either did not read the article or did not comprehend what was written.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have never trained in a victorian dress....or any dress for that matter.
Yet... never say never. You just might be presented with an opportunity. You might even enjoy it. :D

Latest Discussions