Karate history

Prince_Alarming66 2

Senior Master
OK, so as I say I'm currently not attending an actual dojo, due to unalterable life circumstances, but I'm not going to waste my time away. I'm improving my fitness and practicing kata etc. but one of the things I wish I knew more about was the history of karate, the intellectual side of the discipline. I'm not entirely clueless, I know who Funakoshi and Itosu and Hironori Otsukha were, for example but I'd like to know more about the various personalities that have formed karate and their methods. Does anybody have any links or book recommendations they can share? All suggestions gratefully received.
 
Here are my top 12 historical karate masters who influenced its development. In rough chronological order:

1. Chatan Yara
2. Sakugawa
3. Ku San Ku
4. Matsumura
5. Arigake Seisho
6. Ryu Ryu Ko
7. Higashionna Kanryo
8. Chotoku Kyan
9. Itosu Anko
10. Chojun Miyagi
11. Gichin Funakoshi
12. Choki Motobu, Wang Faodang, Iwah, Kenwa Mabuni and ???.

#12. These guys are all in a tie as it's too hard to choose. There are others that can be included like Kanbun Uechi, Nagahama, Kojo family, Lin Shixian and so on. Most listed here were contributors to Okinawan Karate development which then radiated to other counties and I'm most familiar with. No doubt, another half dozen could be named by others here at MT. Googling these guys would be a good start.

Recommended karate history books:

The Bubishi, Patrick McCarthy
Tales of Okinawa's Great Masters and The Essence of Okinawan Karate Do, Shoshin Nagamine
The Essence of Naha Te, Joe Swift

But just as important as karate personalities is the cultural history of Okinawa and Japan which dictated the direction of karate development.
 
Back
Top