Karate for kickboxing

cliveanstey

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in kickboxing for sometime now. After receiving my brown belt I had to have time off due to an ACL injury. I'm now feeling better, but my Instructor has retired and my next nearest class is 30 mins away and only on a Tuesday (which I will be attending). Locally there is taekwondo or karate. As I'm not a fan of taekwondo I am considering training in karate twice a week to help my kickboxing training. There is a choice of Shito Ryu or Wado Ryu.
Any thoughts on this? Which style? Is it worth it? etc.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most martial arts schools have a trial class. Give both of them a try and see which you like better. Or, if you're not sold on either of them, give the TKD school a chance. Maybe you don't like it in general, but this school has something that grabs you.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kickboxing began as an offshoot of karate in the early-mid 1970's. In those early years it was sloppy boxing with a few kicks thrown in. It quickly got more refined as kickboxers learned how to effectively integrate boxing with kicking.

Wado ryu is a fine art, but a good bit of it entails ju-jutsu type techniques which are illegal in kickboxing, so part of your time in it will not be applicable to that sport. So, in your case, I'd recommend Shito ryu.

The above is dependent on the teaching quality of the two schools available to you being equal. If not, go with the better school, regardless of style. You may also want to find a boxing gym.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hmm i only took Shotokan and American Kenpo Karate but i don't know about wadu or shito ryu you can chooose american kenpo karate too or shotokan

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in kickboxing for sometime now. After receiving my brown belt I had to have time off due to an ACL injury. I'm now feeling better, but my Instructor has retired and my next nearest class is 30 mins away and only on a Tuesday (which I will be attending). Locally there is taekwondo or karate. As I'm not a fan of taekwondo I am considering training in karate twice a week to help my kickboxing training. There is a choice of Shito Ryu or Wado Ryu.
Any thoughts on this? Which style? Is it worth it? etc.
Take a look at all three and speak with the dojo directors to see if their school can help you with your training. They not only need to have the equipment but the people that you can spar with to get better. Good luck.

Latest Discussions