Kanryo Higaonna naha-te

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps a stupid question...

Is Ryuei-Ryu the Okinawan art that's been around for a long time, didn't have a name and was pretty much unknown outside of Okinawa until a few years ago?

I remember hearing about an art/school like that that I think was in Higaonna's lineage. It's hard to remember which school it is.

OP
hoshin1600

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps a stupid question...

Is Ryuei-Ryu the Okinawan art that's been around for a long time, didn't have a name and was pretty much unknown outside of Okinawa until a few years ago?

I remember hearing about an art/school like that that I think was in Higaonna's lineage. It's hard to remember which school it is.
Yes,, it could be what your thinking. Ryuei Ryu is named after Ryu Ru ko. The style lineage is not supposed to be linked to Goju in any way other than that both being passed down by Ryu Ru ko. However who Ryu Ru ko was is uncertain and both styles seem to have a different take on history and their description of who he was. Ryuei-Ryu was supposed to be kept secret and only passed from father to son, with the son taking a vow of secrecy. That vow was obviously broken and recently has been added to the Okinawan registry of official styles.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There was also the issue, if I remember correctly, of people claiming to teach it and just copying the videos.
To me, that sounds quite logical. I mean, look at Kojo ryu. I think it was considered a dead style, but if I've understood things correctly, there are now two very different karate styles that go by that name and claim to teach the original Kojo family style. To my understanding about the only things they agree on are the name Kojo ryu and that the other lineage doesn't know anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest Discussions