Kangs Blackbelt Academy; anyone familiar with it?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this school or master? It is the only ITF school that I have been able to locate in my county, possibly in the state (though I haven't looked that hard).
http://www.kangsblackbeltacademy.com/default.html

I have never been in an ITF school and am curious to at least see what one is like. Given all the talk about differences between Kukkiwon schools and ITF schools I thought that it would behoove me to at least see what one looks like.

Thank you,
Daniel

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just located it in Ashton, Maryland from the web, couldn't find that from the website. I don't know anything about it except it looks really big.

Last edited:

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I got Ashton, Maryland, maybe I'm losing it from coming off graveyard shift, sorry, I'm going to bed.

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
First let me state that I do not personally know them, but I did recognize them from an article I read quite some time ago.

Mark and Mary Ann Malakoff were featured in the March 2006 MA Success magazine, which is the official trade magazine for the Martial Arts Industry Association (MAIA).

I do not know how they teach or anything else. So I am not able to offer you any insight in that regard. But you could probably draw some conclusions from that article.

If you cannot find the article online, PM me and I will see what I can do to make it available to you. I always recommend that you check it a school out in person.

Respectfully,
K

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my instructors used to compete against the head instructor back in the late 80's and early 90's. I didn't think they were ITF last time I checked though. That may be a new affiliation. EDIT: Ok, they are affiliated with the ITF but they teach the MDK syllabus which is why they struck a bell.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this school or master? It is the only ITF school that I have been able to locate in my county, possibly in the state (though I haven't looked that hard).
http://www.kangsblackbeltacademy.com/default.html

I have never been in an ITF school and am curious to at least see what one is like. Given all the talk about differences between Kukkiwon schools and ITF schools I thought that it would behoove me to at least see what one looks like.

Thank you,
Daniel

Their website claims some sort of association with the ITF. From the uniforms allone they would not appear to be an actual ITF school unless they are in some sort of Transition phase. The site also refers to Moo Duk Kwan which is not the ITF system.

The school does not appear to be listed on any ITF USA national Body website.

There are somne recent ITF ofshoots that would still follow ITF technical parameters, and it could be affiliated with one of those, but not likely.

So, if you are looking for a school that accurately reflects ITF standards and practices, I would not expect to find it at this school.

I do not know of any ITF schools in Maryland.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I will drop by at some point just to check it out. The doboks looked MDK, and given what JWLuiza said, that explains why.

When I saw that were saying that they are ITF, I wanted to take a look, but it appears that they are either in transition or perhaps there is another ITF??

Daniel

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses! I will drop by at some point just to check it out. The doboks looked MDK, and given what JWLuiza said, that explains why.

When I saw that were saying that they are ITF, I wanted to take a look, but it appears that they are either in transition or perhaps there is another ITF??

Daniel

There are 3 groups calling themselves ITF. The original, The Son's Breakaway and the NK Breakaway. Checked web sites for all 3 with regard to USA Groups. None list this school or any under GM Kang.

Now, there was a GM Kang who came to General Choi's course in Colorado in 1990 or so along with some students. (I was there but sometimes the course dates run to gether for me). I believe they had uniform pants with initals on the leg "ITU" or something like that. Never saw or heard from them again vis a vis ITF functions.

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I shot a phone call over to their school and gave them this website and my contact information. Maybe they'll pop in! My instructor had only good things to say about Master Malakoff, so it would be great if he drops by.

Oh, and: meow. Happy 4/1.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am going to try to check them out either this week or next just to satisfy my curiosity.

I appreciate all of the feedback!

Daniel