Just started BJJ on wednesday

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
My cousin and I started training in some BJJ on wednesday and i loved it, we did two drills on how to throw an armbar form the guard, then we had a choice of rolling and just going at it, we just watched this time because we were jsut starting. Anywho yea its great

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Enjoy your journey. Next time roll so you can "feel" what you see. It will wow you and teach you a lot at the same time.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
MMAfighter said:
My cousin and I started training in some BJJ on wednesday and i loved it, we did two drills on how to throw an armbar form the guard, then we had a choice of rolling and just going at it, we just watched this time because we were jsut starting. Anywho yea its great

Sounds like you had a good first class! BJJ is an awesome art. Enjoy yourself but make sure that you take your time. Its fun to learn all of the fancy moves, but its also very important to remember to start with the basics first. Without the basics, all of the submissions in the world won't matter.

Mike

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Right on! I wouldn't mind doing the same thing. Learning to grapple is certainly a valuable skill.

Good luck!

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have also begun supplementing my training with BJJ. The most important thing I have learned so far is in three parts. Defensive positioning - to be able to defend from others' techniques, offensive positioning - to be able to use a technique effectively without being put back on the defensive or being thrown off, etc (both positions offensive/defensive have much to do with your base), and the third is technique. It is great to know how to throw a technique in, but it is formidable to be able to maintain your advantage while applying your technique. Stay engaged with your opponent and the tactical positioning will be felt - and remember the more time spent on the mat rolling, the more experience you will have to experiment with the different positions, you won't know it until you get to use/feel it. Oh, and one more thing, don't be afraid to lose, I lose plenty and I say that I learn 10 times more when I lose than when I win.

Be well.

Farang - Larry

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
lulflo said:
I have also begun supplementing my training with BJJ. The most important thing I have learned so far is in three parts. Defensive positioning - to be able to defend from others' techniques, offensive positioning - to be able to use a technique effectively without being put back on the defensive or being thrown off, etc (both positions offensive/defensive have much to do with your base), and the third is technique. It is great to know how to throw a technique in, but it is formidable to be able to maintain your advantage while applying your technique. Stay engaged with your opponent and the tactical positioning will be felt - and remember the more time spent on the mat rolling, the more experience you will have to experiment with the different positions, you won't know it until you get to use/feel it. Oh, and one more thing, don't be afraid to lose, I lose plenty and I say that I learn 10 times more when I lose than when I win.

Be well.

Farang - Larry
Excellent Post

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, That's great! BJJ will build in you alot of endurance and new skills.

Learning how to fall and going to the ground will be an important part for most beginners. Enjoy yourself ,keep an open mind and have fun........Aloha

B

bunyip

Tap early and tap often!

Focus on remaining calm and not spazzing out. Don't try to muscle out of moves. Resist the temptation to use your strength to make something happen. Remember, the point of rolling is to learn, not to win. Become a technical fighter. Good luck!

B

bunyip

Oh, I forgot the most important thing!

If you're really close to getting a submission and are struggling to finish it off and get the tap, JUST LET IT GO! You're not learning anything by spending three minutes squeezing a weak choke or a sloppy armbar, even you do get the tap in the end. Just let it go, keep rolling, and set the sub up better next time.

And if you lose position when you drop the sub - who cares? Train to learn, not to win.