Just saying hi

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw "joint locks" and "pressure points" in the description of Hapkido. I've just learned two joint locks in Tang Soo Do. Ouch. Makes someone slap their leg fast!

By non-resistive movements, is that as in Judo where you use the opponent's momentum against them?

Sounds fascinating!

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
By non-resistive movements, is that as in Judo where you use the opponent's momentum against them?
Hi,

Yes, that's the basic idea. You blend with their energy and movement, rather than opposing it. If they're static, you unbalance them somehow so that you can work with them.

The blending / redirecting embodies the concept of ju in judo and jujutsu. Hapkido derives from some type of aikijujutsu.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, that's the basic idea. You blend with their energy and movement, rather than opposing it. If they're static, you unbalance them somehow so that you can work with them.

The blending / redirecting embodies the concept of ju in judo and jujutsu. Hapkido derives from some type of aikijujutsu.

Yep, and when executed correctly they are DEVISTATING...

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Lynne,

I also see that you noticed the comment about pressure points. Please don't think that in Hapkido we knock people out with our fingertips, or with chi balls or anything else like that. Yes, Hapkido does use pressure point attacks. But they're very practical. They're usually intended to soften your attacker up for a brief instant, so you can execute a technique more easily.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen, for clarifying.

I need to find an encyclopedia of martial arts. Or just start reading more here ;)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you, gentlemen, for clarifying.

I need to find an encyclopedia of martial arts. Or just start reading more here ;)

There is a wealth of knowledge in the old threads..Save your money, unless you need to start an MA library of your own then check e-Bay or Amaizon.com for deals...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynne the best book is training and more training that is where most people find all tha information they need.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make it a point to click the new posts thngy and scanning through, clicking on to read anything that interests me regardless of style. Which is why I keep popping up all over the place! I've learnt a lot about different styles that way.

We do Atemijitsu which is fun, one fact I find funny/interesting is that the pressure point under the foot, below the big toe by the ball of the foot is a good one to use on men but don't use it on women! Seems we deadened that pressure point by wearing shoes with heels, in some case high heels lol! That'll be me then.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So true. I just clicked on the thread about Southern Mantis. Fascinating.

Latest Discussions