Just introducing myself

JohnS

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is John and I'm studying Kenpo Karate. Started out at a school that was just up the street here in Merchantville, but then the studio had to move about a mile away into the township of Pennsauken.

I started training in Kenpo three plus years back as a way to crawl back from the physical brink. I was 310lbs, with a pair of fractures in my back aggravating the nerve bundles and several other issues with joints in my right leg. It was discourageing and depressing, so I decided to pick my fat *** up and get it moving. I trained three times a week (minimum, its more like four) at the studio and practice with my two younger sons to help them learn their forms and tech's.

I was promoted to Black belt on June 17th of this year. My weight for the last 18 months has averaged 218lbs and I have eliminated all the pain management drugs from my life. I never expected to say that with my birthday this past Saturday that at 40 I'm in better condition than I was at 25.

My current goal is to continue training, studying to be an instructor. I'm doing this for two reasons. One I like it, teaching seems to be part and parcel of the advancement of the art (not just rank). Two, I can see that teaching as a career change would be a very big emotional raise.

Other stuff,
I ride motorcycles and am involved in high performance cars.
I'm struggling to relearn to play accoustic guitar after 21 years and two carpal tunnel surgeries.
I have two sons, 12yrs and 7yrs, that both are studing Kenpo.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on making such an impact on your life as well as your sons.
You must of had a great instructor and a wonderful family for strength when you needed it.
Terry

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! :wavey: Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story with us. It's also great that your sons are also involved with Kenpo. Hope you enjoy your time here. :)

OP
J

JohnS

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you,

Yeah I like to think that I have a great instructors. My head instructor, whom I started with is soundly locked into concept of tailoring the art to the student. Because of my leg and back, my motion is very asymetrical and somewhat limited (ie. no left leg spinning kicks). Kenpo allows me to use what I have now to train and advance, while challengeing me to keep stretching and reaching beyond the other limits (unlike another school that I looked at that told me if I couldn't drop into a perfect front and side splits that I would never progess past yellow belt).

I'm really proud of my sons.
My oldest, Alex has earned his Jr. Black Belt and is currently training for his adult orange belt.
The seven year old started when he was three as a Little Ninja where he progressed to his Green belt before moving on to the Juniors class where he started over as white. He just earned his Brown belt in June and is still going strong.

I know that all this can only come from the support of my wife (whom I wish would joins us out on the mats) and the instructors of my school.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks you for the great story it was inspiring. Congrats on the recent promotion to Black belt that it is a great accomplishment. Welcom to the board from one newbie to another.

B

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! Congratulations on BB and Happy 40th! :partyon:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!! And Congrats, very inspirational story.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings JohnS and welcome to MT..
Congradulations on turning your life around..I too had an excellent Sensei that tailored his discipline ( Shorin-Ryu) around my physical limitations..Had both legs broke in an industrial accident and had just mastered walking (again) before finding my way to his Dojo..Where would we ( or a lot of people) be without excellent instructors like these...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey: Thanks for the great introduction - I look forward to hearing more from you.

Latest Discussions