Just come back from my Pre-Grading

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This isn't a usual Seminar so I'm not posting it in Seminars, but I've just come back from my pre-grading Seminar.

I've been there all day because my daughter went this morning, it was her first Seminar and as her first grading is next week she was really nervous. She was scared she was not going to be as good as anyone else and they'd make fun of her. I told her, "I feel that way too the difference is you are 5 and I'm in my late 30's" but this didn't console her.

Ok I'll be honest, what I did say to her was "If we never do anyting because we are nervous and afraid of showing ourselves up we'll never do anything". She understood this so agreed to go. Good job she did too because she had loads of fun and in the competition at the end won the Bronze medal for her pattern! That's my girl :D

I had loads of fun too, I was the only 7th kup there and had to share my teacher with a 10th kup, but we learned from each other, I learned from teaching him some stuff and he learned from everything :) Plus it made me a little more aware of my basics when I had to do his stuff too.

Anyway the comp.

I was totally confused because I couldn't hear what was going on, my tinitus was playing up a bit, the first time I did my pattern I kept thinking "no I should have done it like that" and got nervous but I won the first round, the second time I did it, 5 moves in I went blank, I just didn't know what to do next so I apologised and asked to start again, then again 4 moves in I did a wrong move, in an instant I thought "I can't start again I've got to go on" so I did, I was so upset because my instructor was in the judging and I felt I had let him down. Anyway I completed and remembered a little of what I'd been over with my seminar teacher and finished with a bounce and a confident Tul name. I won that bout! I was gobsmacked! I stood there and blinked and my eyes went wide and I just stood there and one of the judges smiled at me so I went to sit down.
The third time I was a little unsure that I was supposed to be there and my head was in pieces but I did it again and it went to the other person on a decision (3/2). My instructor told me my stances were too short and if I'd got them right I'd have got gold, I wasn't up to my usual standard.

Anyway I GOT SILVER!

go me!

Grading next week :) Watch this space I'll be a 6th kup in just over a weeks time.

Save me a drink in Lisa's lounge, I'll need it.

Oh yea and my foot hurt a bit but it's really improving.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on your silver, and have fun at your testing next week!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations! Win or lose, it doesn't really matter - you learned that you can make mistakes and keep going, and some people never learn that. Getting a silver medal in the bargain just makes it that much better!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know what? That `blanking' happens to the best of the best... my own sabunim, who is a multi-year Ohio state-level hyung champion, has told me that it's happened to him and that he's learned you just keep going and you'll get back in your groove. What Kacey said is solid truth: even some very advanced competitors haven't learned that you clutch and scramble for every point when you're doing forms, which means, don't stop, don't give up.

It was good that your daughter saw how you handled that challenge. It'll stick with her.

All in all, with your silver and her bronze, it sounds like a triumphant begining to her seminar career and your next grading! :highfive:

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done to you and your daughter, Shads, and best wishes on both gradings!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mon congrats to BOTH of you...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well done that lass :tup:!

I'm glad that your daughter enjoyed herself too and saw the valuable lesson that you don't always get it right but you have to press on through to the end.

From my own experience I have learned that if you can just get the conscious mind to be quiet ('cos that's the bit that's doing all the fretting) then your body and ingrained reflexes will carry the day :D.

That's all part and parcel of why the mental becomes more important the more you study an art. It's a 'given' after a couple of years study that you'll have the forms ironed in; what comes next is the control of the thought processes.

"The 'mind' is the strategist and the 'body' the army" is a reasonable analogy I think i.e. your brain decides what's going to be done and the muscles and bone get on with executing it. The hard bit is getting the mind to just give the order and then shut up 'till its time for the next one :lol:!

OP
Shaderon

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The hard bit is getting the mind to just give the order and then shut up 'till its time for the next one :lol:!

Oh wow that's a darned good description of what happened to me on my second bout!! lol Thanks Suk! :lol:

And thanks Drac. My daughter has just read all this and she says thanks to you all too.