Just checking in...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats. I can't wait to work out again and see some of the new stuff. I'll be back in town next summer.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like you worked for it. Mr. K, you're coming to town next summer? For how long?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations! Sounds like you worked for it. Mr. K, you're coming to town next summer? For how long?

I'll be in Duluth for a couple of weeks...not sure when yet.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today I started a class after school in Kenjutsu, a Japanese sword martial art. All I've learned is what's called the Eight Basic Cuts, but I got a wooden practice sword, a bokken, to work with. It's a lot of fun to work with swords, and I'm going to get a short sword, I think it's called a Wakazake, or something like that. Wish me luck!

Ian

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
good luck! I've done a limited amount of sword work. It is fun but it does take a lot of time and effort to get good

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that...

After a few months of Kenjutsu, I find that I do need to put a lot of time into it. It was hard for me to get there for a while, because I was skiing all the time. Now that the snow's mostly gone, I can get outside and practice. It's kinda hard to swing a katana around a small house. I've learned some different draws and it's a very fun, energetic class. It's kind of fun to be the only one breathing loudly with every stroke, after getting in that habit with TSD.

Tang Soo Do update:

After a year in my new class, I really have been able to fit in. The teaching style is different than the first 7 years of training, but I enjoy it. Sure, I've had to drop a lot of stuff, but I've learned new things and new ways to do different moves. Some tweaks:

First three forms, the Gi Chos, all have kicks in them

Totally different sets of Jok Ji, Ill Soo Shik and Ho Sin Shul

Many names of things are different, but I've gotten used to them

Typically need to know less things per gup level

Overall, I like that I've gotten used to the class and really gotten to know the other students. The curriculum is a good one, and I believe it's a great paced class.

Ian

Oh yeah, I just wanna add, when I type Kenjutsu, the spell check thinks I'm trying to spell Kentucky. Kind of odd on a martial arts site...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMP, how old were you when you started with me? I believe I opened in May of 2001.

Also, I think you'll notice that just about all of the TSD dojangs are different. Between different teachers and different organizations, you'll rarely find one that is offering the exact same material. And even if you are familiar with some stuff, it will be offered in a different way. That's the nature of the art!

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
IMP, how old were you when you started with me? I believe I opened in May of 2001.

Also, I think you'll notice that just about all of the TSD dojangs are different. Between different teachers and different organizations, you'll rarely find one that is offering the exact same material. And even if you are familiar with some stuff, it will be offered in a different way. That's the nature of the art!

May '01...I woulda been six i think. And I've realized that most dojangs are different, I've looked at a couple others. I've talked with some friends that are in martial arts, their explanations of their classes are different than mine, for sure.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
scratch that, I would've been five in may '01.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
scratch that, I would've been five in may '01.

Wow, I can't believe that you and Billy were so young. It makes sense though especially when we tried to do some dark training and you guys got freaked out!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll catch on fast where ever you go. You developed a strong base and had learned how to move your body and that is very important. Not just for martial arts!

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that you and Billy were so young. It makes sense though especially when we tried to do some dark training and you guys got freaked out!

Anyway, I'm sure you'll catch on fast where ever you go. You developed a strong base and had learned how to move your body and that is very important. Not just for martial arts!

I realize I've got a strong foundation, and am trying to keep everything you taught me, while integrating it into the more finite details I'm going through with Mr. Tapa. I've found I can catch on to anything new very quickly, and can improvise in certain situations, particularly in sparring.

On another note, I'm testing for 4th dan on June 8th, I can't believe how quick it's coming up. I'm anticipating a challenge, and I can't wait.

Ian

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I realize I've got a strong foundation, and am trying to keep everything you taught me, while integrating it into the more finite details I'm going through with Mr. Tapa. I've found I can catch on to anything new very quickly, and can improvise in certain situations, particularly in sparring.

On another note, I'm testing for 4th gup on June 8th, I can't believe how quick it's coming up. I'm anticipating a challenge, and I can't wait.

Ian

There, I made a little correction for you. 4th dan would be equal to my teacher! LOL!

Are you getting to practice many of the grappling techniques we worked in the dojo or is it pretty much striking only?

How about form application?

As far as my training, right now I'm working Okinawan Karate and Jujutsu pretty hard. I'd like to find a good weapon style to add to some of the things I've already learned.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dang! Didn't notice that...

I've seen a few related grappling techniques, but it's mostly striking. There is absolutely zero form application from what I can tell, and I've been trying to come up with new techniques for them. Working what I have every class helps in coming up with applications for different situations in forms, so I'm glad for that.

OP
IMP

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I passed my test! Mr. Tapa said I was amazing, and he knew that I was ready. It was very tiring and shorter than I expected. I definitely thought it would be a little longer, but it was plenty challenging. I can't wait for what is to come, and I'll keep you updated!

Ian

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations, Ian! It just keeps getting better all of the time!

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I passed my test! Mr. Tapa said I was amazing, and he knew that I was ready. It was very tiring and shorter than I expected. I definitely thought it would be a little longer, but it was plenty challenging. I can't wait for what is to come, and I'll keep you updated!

Ian

Awesome! Congrats