Closing the Doors on Superior Tangsoodo

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just wanted to update the MT community and any former students that come and check in, that I am officially closing the doors of Superior Tangsoodo. After losing our space at the YWCA, I was able to offer a limited amount of lessons at my house in my private dojang, but we are selling our house and moving, so that no longer will be possible.

It's been a good ride. The dojang has been open for almost seven years and I've had more then fifty students come through my small organization. A lot of things have changed since those early days. Our curriculum has become much more practical and innovative, the end result is that I really feel that we put together an effective self defense system.

Several of my students, including myself, have had to use what we learned in various real life situations. Some of them included weapons, multiple attackers, and multiple attackers with weapons. All of my students, with the training they received at Superior TSD, have been able to pull through these situations and survive.

That alone, tells me that we were doing something right.

Now its on to different things, though. For myself, I will be moving to Hawaii and restarting my martial arts program in Kaneohe on Oahu. We'll start small at first and see where it goes. The good news is that we already have a place out there. In the house that we are living, there is an attached room with the dimensions of 20 by 35 and a patio door to a 700 square foot linai. This will become my new dojang. I'm not sure what I will name it yet. Hopefully, I can come up with something that correctly describes what I'm attempting to do.

I hope to have this dojang up and running by the end of July or the beginning of August. My current students are always invited to come to my new dojang to train.

Superior TSD may reopen its doors sometime in the future. My senior student continues to train with several of my other students in the basement of his house. I will be monitoring their progress and hopefully sitting on a shim-sa when I come back to visit family. If my student decides to do so, I will help him reopen the dojang with him as the head instructor.

All of this is sad and exciting for me at the same time. One chapter of my martial arts career is closing and another is opening. I'm not sure how things will change, only time will tell. Also, I'm not sure what to do with this forum. I may ask Bob to change the name when I open my new school, or I may see if I can create some sub-forums so that people in my teacher's dojang, my old dojang, and my new dojang can communicate. Again, time will tell.

For all of those who participated in my dojang and in this forum, aloha and mahalo...

upnorthkyosa

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Upnorth all though I can read the sadness in your voice I also can see the challenges that await you and the excitement of those. I wish you all the best in your new endevour and always check in here to let us now how everything is going. My best to you sir. :asian:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is bittersweet news - although you and some of us knew it was coming, I can't imagine that makes it any easier to leave. But from what I know....I'd say that your time in Hawaii will be pretty awesome and well worth the closing of one chapter and moving on to another.

Congratulations on the move, hopefully I'll make it to Hawaii some day to visit your new Dojang! I'm sure that your students very much appreciate your training and will continue in their studies...they sound very devoted.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The upside of this is that I will have all sorts of training opportunities that are not available to me in the Duluth/Superior area. There are several well regarding Okinawan Karate/Kobudo Dojos on Oahu as well as top notch Judo and BJJ. I have a standing invite from one of Relson Gracie's students. I plan on taking advantage of that as soon as I am able.

As of now, I have four students that are waiting for me to open my doors in Kaneohe. These are friends and family that already lived out there and are ecstatic to have the opportunity to train with me. In the end, I think this will be a good thing. I just wish that I wasn't leaving so many people behind...:)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said, this must be both a :( and a :) time for you.

It sounds trite and cliched but all endings are beginnings. It's part of what makes a life a life rather than just marking time that there are events that are painful and those that are joyful. The trick is to make the latter outweigh the former.

All my good wishes for you new home and new students. Your track record precedes you so I'm sure that those who learn from you can only benefit. Best of luck for your senior in his efforts to carry what you taught him onwards.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good thoughts your way, UNK.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hope you'll continue to post on this forum as well as in the general TSD forums. I've always enjoyed reading your takes on various TSD topics.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Back on MT and safely on the ground in Oahu. I'm in the process of getting everything straightened out with the family and planning for my new dojang. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Back on MT and safely on the ground in Oahu. I'm in the process of getting everything straightened out with the family and planning for my new dojang. I'll post pics when I'm done.

So UNK are you changing your name to Oahukyosa or alohakyosa? :D

I know... that was lame but man...

YOU ARE LIVING IN FRICKIN' OAHU!!!!!!

Where it is beautiful and warm and wonderful all the time! As much as this is bitter sweet for you I have to repeat...

YOU ARE LIVING IN FRICKIN' OAHU!!!!!

I am so very very jealous. So much so you have no idea. :(

Good luck UNK. If you do decide on a name change, let one of the Admins know and we can take care of it for you.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note to Upnorth: you need to spend a week in Winnepeg in the winter to understand the sincerity of Lisa's response here....

Hell, a couple of hours in late January would be enough! With that nice, fresh, damp breeze off the lake... :erg:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been to winterpeg on ice fishing trips. Not too much different then Minnesnowta where I grew up. We have two seasons there, winter and road construction.

I'm having a serious case of culture shock. Everyone in Hawaii is on "Hawaii time" which, if any of you are familiar with Indian Reservation life, it's what the locals called Indian time.

There are no such thing as appointments or deadlines to most people. If the surf is up, all bets are off. I don't know how I'm going to slow down enough to mingle with the locals.

I went to the beach today. On Lake Superior, we have Park Point, one of the largest natural sandspits in the world. Superior is so big, it looks like th ocean...but the water is COLD. I'm used to swimming in water that is 55 to 65 degrees.

I floated in the ocean in water that was pushing 80 and my mind was saying that the saltwater had a higher density. I felt like I was flying though. It was cool.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been to winterpeg on ice fishing trips. Not too much different then Minnesnowta where I grew up. We have two seasons there, winter and road construction.

I'm having a serious case of culture shock. Everyone in Hawaii is on "Hawaii time" which, if any of you are familiar with Indian Reservation life, it's what the locals called Indian time.

There are no such thing as appointments or deadlines to most people. If the surf is up, all bets are off. I don't know how I'm going to slow down enough to mingle with the locals.

I went to the beach today. On Lake Superior, we have Park Point, one of the largest natural sandspits in the world. Superior is so big, it looks like th ocean...but the water is COLD. I'm used to swimming in water that is 55 to 65 degrees.

I floated in the ocean in water that was pushing 80 and my mind was saying that the saltwater had a higher density. I felt like I was flying though. It was cool.

I'm envious. I grew up in Waianae, west side of the island. But have not been back in 30 years...I heard things have changed a bit. I have to ask...how did you occasion to move to Hawaii? In the service? Won the lottery?

I doubt you'll be lacking for people to work out with; the islands are full of the arts. Good luck in your new chapter, and have fun!

Dave

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm looking to start a graduate school program in Geology. The best one is in Hawaii. This was where I was accepted. It's going to be a stretch trying to make the money stretch, but I've lived that way before.

Waianae, that's a rough part of Oahu. They have "no haole" signs up over there. How was that 30 years ago?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oahu, eh? Been to the Arizona Memorial or Mighty Mo yet?

Latest Discussions