Soo Bahk Do Tournament - We Are Going

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, so my students have been bugging me about going to a tournament. They want to try. Fine, I say. I tell them I'll see what I can do. I'm not a big fan of open tournaments...in fact I hate them. Sportsmanship is usually poor and the competition always leaves something to be desired. Also, open tournaments typically have a bunch of weirdos who are trying to prove something to the world...to show that their ninja videos or "secret" training really is the bomb. Yeah its fun to kick the crap out of those folks, but in the end, its ultimately pointless.

So, I talked to my teacher and posed the questions, would Master Nelson be okay with us going to the annual Soo Bahk Do State Tournament. My teacher's dojang used to host it and we used to be part of that organization and my teacher and his teacher are still very good friends. Well, he placed a phone call and Master Nelson invited us both to bring out schools!

Way cool. Even though I'm not a fan of tournaments or point sparring (ick) it'll be nice to connect with people I haven't seen in a long long time. I'm not sure if I'm going to compete yet. My training has moved pretty far from Soo Bahk Do and I think that under that rule set, I'm looking at getting DQed in some way. I may just do it however, for old times sake and because I'd like to see if I could win the whole damn thing. I don't think its totally out of the question if I prepare for it.

Anyways, the tournament is Sunday December 8th. We've got seven weeks to get ready. This is more then enough time and seven weeks of point sparring is probably not going to kill anyone.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent! Hopefully its a good experience for you and your students! Where is the tournament? We've been getting ready for our regional testing and tournament, so I haven't heard anything about this one yet....

If you have any questions about the current SBD rules and the differences, please feel free to ask!

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, if you find that experience fun, see if you can't go to the Pittsburgh tournaments sponsored by the ITF every May. Hope your students do well.

BuLB

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new here and thankful I cross this path, I am an active member of soobahkdo (1995 to 2000,2002, and 2010 - present). Am still a colored belt as up to now.

just to share the way the tournament goes here in our country since 1970's up to the present. Soobahkdo (Tangsoodo) tournament clips:

We belong to the World Moo Duk Kwan affiliation under H.C. Hwang Son of GrandMaster Hwang Kee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions