Junzuki -- Just what is it?

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
So quick question here . . . a point of confusion.

At my wado-ryu school--which I should point out that is headed by one of the top wado guys in America, Sensei Toshio Osaka--we're taught that the "junzuki" is essentially a jab. In fact, that's exactly what it is.

But when I run "junzuki" or "jun zuki" or "jun tsuki" through Google or YouTube it comes up with a variety of results, none of which look like the simple jab that I've been taught.

Does anyone have an explanation for this? Is it a wado vs shotokan thing? Or what?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read 'Introduction to Karate' by Shingo Ohgami. It explains Wado Ryu very nicely.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The translation is literally 'fundamental/basic/primary thrust/punch', so it can be whatever is considered just a basic punch to that system, or even that school/dojo/instructor. That may explain why you see a few different versions. I'd personally just follow what you're taught in your dojo as 'junzuki', and be aware of the others for interests' sake.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Read 'Introduction to Karate' by Shingo Ohgami. It explains Wado Ryu very nicely.

Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly do that.

EDIT: Wow. Went to order this from Amazon and it's $70 used. It might be a little while before I can pick it up.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
The translation is literally 'fundamental/basic/primary thrust/punch', so it can be whatever is considered just a basic punch to that system, or even that school/dojo/instructor. That may explain why you see a few different versions. I'd personally just follow what you're taught in your dojo as 'junzuki', and be aware of the others for interests' sake.

Cool. I guess that helps to explain it.

I just thought it was weird, since I've never heard "mae geri" or "mawashi geri" mean anything other than a front kick or roundhouse, respectively. But this "junzuki" thing was raising some questions.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ha, well, "mae" mean front, "keri/geri" means kick, and "mawashi" means "turn around", so that's understandable!

Ha. Well I suppose I'm no linguist.

I just assumed that the same Japanese terminology corresponds to the same technique across the board.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ooh, wow, good lord no.... just because they use a similar, or the same terminology, that doesn't mean that they're the same thing. For instance, there's a term "Koshi no Mawari", which refers to "around the hips"... in some systems, that refers to a throwing-heavy grappling system, but in others it refers to sword and short weapon use... as they would be what is found "around the hips". Then you have the term "Iai". Most recognise this as referring to sword drawing (but some systems use the term batto instead, or another term entirely), but there are systems that use it to refer to seated (unarmed) techniques... and others that use it for standing unarmed techniques. And from there it starts getting confusing....

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

My background is in TKD, not Karate. So all this karate stuff is new to me, haha.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Zuki if I remember from my Shotokan training days was a term for a punch in Shotokan. But I ended only at a 9 Kyu in Shotokan. My main art is in TKD 2nd Dan.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, "tsuki/zuki" literally refers to a thrusting forward action, and is pretty commonly used to refer to a straight punch in unarmed systems. With weapons, it's a thrust with that weapon.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back when I was a Wado practitioner, we referred to jun zuki as the "same side" punch, meaning that the right foot would be forward when the right hand punches, or the left foot would be forward when the left hand punches. The term "jun zuki dachi" was used to describe our forward stance, which is normally referred to as "zen kutsu dachi."

Gyaku zuki was the "opposite side" punch (what most people refer to as "reverse punch"), where the opposing foot was forward, instead of the same side foot.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back when I was a Wado practitioner, we referred to jun zuki as the "same side" punch, meaning that the right foot would be forward when the right hand punches, or the left foot would be forward when the left hand punches. The term "jun zuki dachi" was used to describe our forward stance, which is normally referred to as "zen kutsu dachi."

Gyaku zuki was the "opposite side" punch (what most people refer to as "reverse punch"), where the opposing foot was forward, instead of the same side foot.

In Isshin-Ryu, the punch from the forward leg side is 'Seiken Oi Tsuki' and the reverse punch is 'Seiken Geaku Tsuki'.

However, I looked up 'Jun Tsuki' (instead of "junzuki") and it shows a different punch; something coming off the shoulder; we throw from the obi (belt) when we do a Seiken Oi Tsuki. So perhaps not the same punch?

EDIT: Found this video. Looks like a jodan punch (to the head).

Our Jodan Oi Tsuki is a different variation, same target (the head).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score

Yes, that's exactly the way I'm being taught in wado. Interesting to know that I might speak to a Shotokan guy and our wires will get crossed due to terminology.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ray B

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jun tsuki/Choku tsuki/ Oi tsuki, all the same or different according to the organization you belong to. There is not one school syllabus that is the same. Shotokan calls chudan soto uke my chudan uchi uke. Why? I believe it's because the correct term in Shotokan is chudan soto ude uke meaning middle outside forearm block. Referring to the inside of the forearm. We, in Shorin-ryu refer to the arm direction sweeping to the outside.

What is correct? Sensei.

Best regards,

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It shouldn't be that much. It's $33 on this site. Lots of other stuff too, his kata book is very good too. You can get both for $59.

http://www.wado-media.com/en/bin/sr...load.htm&UID=5163_153F300D&$query?group=01000

Unless my eyes deceive me, the price is 33 Euros, not US dollars. With the conversion to dollars along with s/h from Europe, $70 is probably close enough.

If anyone is interested in buying a Wado book, I actually think the Danubio book has a better layout and it includes the kumite sets.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still only paid about £6 new for the books though, they must be very expensive in America.

Latest Discussions