Jumping back kick

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you practice this kick and what is it that makes it so great? My son does this kick and he loves it in tournament fighting and does rather well with it me I learned it but I do not like it that much I rather be grounded when I kick just a personnal preference. What is everyone else take on this.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do it quickly enough, it's a great technique. I don't use it much - but I'm older and less flexible than Zach. I have students who use it effectively, and I know some BBs in other classes who use jumping back kick and several other jumping kicks quite effectively in sparring.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I practice it quite a bit, but only because it's one of the flashier kicks that still retains SOME martial value. I frequently use it as part of a combination board break demonstration when called upon. It's always crowd pleasing.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you do it quickly enough, it's a great technique. I don't use it much - but I'm older and less flexible than Zach. I have students who use it effectively, and I know some BBs in other classes who use jumping back kick and several other jumping kicks quite effectively in sparring.

I used to. Like Kacey, age has changed some things.

Rotten kids:tantrum:

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I love jumping back kick, especially as a counter in sparring. My goal has always been to have my right side and left side be equally good, but the left always seems to lag.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be 40 this year and practice it all the time. It's one of my power techniques, and used to be one of my trademark free fighting techniques.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be 40 this year and practice it all the time. It's one of my power techniques, and used to be one of my trademark free fighting techniques.

You must have great knees cudos Sir.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It all goes back to proper training and conditioning. With proper training, you can expect to practice at a high level well past youth. My knees and joints still feel good, I've never worn braces, and my energy level still is pretty high.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practice it quite a bit and like to use it but I tend to save it as a follow on; the second or third technique in a combination after I have them thinking and if my body motion is in a natural turn

Although I tend to do it more as a jump spin side kick than a straight jumping back kick

colinmatchett

White Belt
Reaction score
This is a great kick and one that I practiced for many, many hours as a young man. It is extremely explosive and powerful, particularly when blocking and then using it as a counter. I see people using it as an initial attack but I have found (particularly now that I am old and fat) that you are more apt to hit, and hit hard by using it as part of a counter. It has also been effective for me when used in combination, for example, left round kick, right round kick and jumping into the jumping back kick.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to use it, especially in tourneys. I stopped using it after visiting one of my former instructor's school and caught one of his students sleeping. The guy caught it square in the jaw. After seeing him in what could only be described as a scene from Hollywood, I became freaked with the level of power and seemingly the lack of control, so I stopped using it. A real shame too, as I was getting very comfortable with it.

turtle

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I used to use it, especially in tourneys. I stopped using it after visiting one of my former instructor's school and caught one of his students sleeping. The guy caught it square in the jaw.

It can be a really devastating kick. I once saw a red belt shatter the jaw of a very experienced (but overconfident) black belt by catching him perfectly in the jaw with a jumping back kick. Scary thing to see.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like using this kick because no one expects an older guy to do it. Most of the time, this is a defensive kick, but I try to use it off-the-line since I'm trying to surprise my opponent.

BTW, there's a picture of GM Hee Il Cho doing this kick against an Everlast bag. The bag is exploding from the power in his kick. It is one of my favorite martial arts photos of all time. The photo is in "Man of Contrasts", one of his early books.

Miles

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like using this kick because no one expects an older guy to do it. Most of the time, this is a defensive kick, but I try to use it off-the-line since I'm trying to surprise my opponent.

BTW, there's a picture of GM Hee Il Cho doing this kick against an Everlast bag. The bag is exploding from the power in his kick. It is one of my favorite martial arts photos of all time. The photo is in "Man of Contrasts", one of his early books.

Miles

Yes and that is a great book if you do not have it add it to your library

cflick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like the kick I dont use it oftenin breaking because I find it difficult to execute when stationary.
I need a walking/running start to perform it correctly, and its a bit too much force when used this way so I dont really use it in sparring either.
But the non-jumping variant is fun and very useful as a counter in sparring, and I use that often.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Still one of my favorite kicks to perform against the bag. What I like to do is go into the bag room after guys who think they know martial arts or do MMA have been in there and made the bag shake a little. I like to make the walls of the room shake. Occasionally someone will look in to see who's making all that noise.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its my ace in the hole. At 43 I still spar with the kids and its very trimmed down as far as the arsenal goes but this one just pops out and always wakes them up. Its weird how certain kicks just feel natural and others an effort.

Dave O.

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Miles

I agree with you 100%.......It's a GREAT kick and that Photo is a GREAT PHOTO! I have had the book since it came out, was one of my first books.
The kick is awesome when done correctly, the speed and power delivered from this kick is amazing.
I have been doing this kick for 28 years :supcool: I LOVE THE KICK!
I also like the jump spin hook......and I'm 45. It must be a mid-west thing.....LOL :supcool:
-Kevin