Jump Spinning Side Kick

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When doing this kick on a target I seem to land it. When doing it in the air in a pattern I seem to over rotate and land off center. In the pattern I'm doing I am in a back stance and need to execute a jump spinning side with my front foot to my backside and land in a back stance double knife-hand black. When I land my front foot (which is the kicking foot) tends to land too far off center and I am having to move it over back to center.

Maybe it seems to land on the target because I am actually making contact and that is stopping my over rotation. Any tips on how to take it straight back and avoid the over rotation? It seems that jumping straight up first, then executing the kick helps, but that feels more like a back kick.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
When doing this kick on a target I seem to land it. When doing it in the air in a pattern I seem to over rotate and land off center. In the pattern I'm doing I am in a back stance and need to execute a jump spinning side with my front foot to my backside and land in a back stance double knife-hand black. When I land my front foot (which is the kicking foot) tends to land too far off center and I am having to move it over back to center.

Maybe it seems to land on the target because I am actually making contact and that is stopping my over rotation. Any tips on how to take it straight back and avoid the over rotation? It seems that jumping straight up first, then executing the kick helps, but that feels more like a back kick.
Just don't turn your sholders until your foot is recoling. Leave your sholders facing back just a little longer should help. Most people over rotate for the reason you mentioned. The foot hitting a target stops your momentum but when kicking air or missing the kick most over rotate.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jump spinning side kick? I have been out of taekwondo for 6 months and I have been doing it 5 years previously. Is this a new kick?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jump spinning side kick? I have been out of taekwondo for 6 months and I have been doing it 5 years previously. Is this a new kick?
Some call it a jump spin back side kick. Almost like a back kick but more to the side then back. Tiny bit more rotation in all. It allows for a less distance than the jump back kick as the angle is from the side rather than underneath.

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
if it is a jump reverse side kick, why would someone call it jump spinning sidekick??? What style of taekwondo do you practice?

OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Went to a camp my instructor's master put on and I asked him for some help. He told me to retract my kick in the air rather than leaving it out there and that would help stop the rotation. That made all the difference. It also helped me land right into the back stance.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent I am glad your instructor teacher was able to help you out!
icon14.gif

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Went to a camp my instructor's master put on and I asked him for some help. He told me to retract my kick in the air rather than leaving it out there and that would help stop the rotation. That made all the difference. It also helped me land right into the back stance.
Great!

Latest Discussions