Juka 100% Cotton Gi Melted

OP
Willard814

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't think you can say that necessarily. 100% cotton means that is what the garment is constructed of. It could have been coated with something as new clothes often are. Or, it could be transfer from something else, which is actually what I think it is.

I washed the gi by itself so there is no chance something rub off in it. I am very meticulous about my laundry and clothing and I know what melted plastic looks like per the fabric test link decepticon provided http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/member.php?26394-decepticon( http://quilting.about.com/od/fabrice.../burn_test.htm ) I guess you would have to actually see and touch the fabric to confirm that it's plastic.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I washed the gi by itself so there is no chance something rub off in it. I am very meticulous about my laundry and clothing and I know what melted plastic looks like per the fabric test link decepticon provided http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/member.php?26394-decepticon( http://quilting.about.com/od/fabrice.../burn_test.htm ) I guess you would have to actually see and touch the fabric to confirm that it's plastic.

I was referring to the coating that many garment makers put on new clothing when they ship it, to protect against stains and whatnot. When you smell new clothes, they often have a 'chemical' smell until you wash them for the first time. It was only a guess in any case.

As to the burn test, if you set fire to part of it and it melted, then yes, I agree it's not cotton. Otherwise, I can only go by what I see in the photo you provided. I have seen the same on clothes of mine that have been damaged by the washing machine and it was friction that did it and the fabric in question wasn't made of polyester blends in my case. I'm no expert, and I don't claim to know what happened to your gi or what it's made of. You posted a photo and I commented because I've seen damage that looks just like that. Believe whatever you wish to believe; I was offering only my experience, not a definitive statement. As I said, I am sorry your gi is damaged and I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have nothing to add of relevance, but this is by far the most interesting "gi" thread I have ever read. Thanks, all.

OP
Willard814

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was referring to the coating that many garment makers put on new clothing when they ship it, to protect against stains and whatnot. When you smell new clothes, they often have a 'chemical' smell until you wash them for the first time. It was only a guess in any case.

As to the burn test, if you set fire to part of it and it melted, then yes, I agree it's not cotton. Otherwise, I can only go by what I see in the photo you provided. I have seen the same on clothes of mine that have been damaged by the washing machine and it was friction that did it and the fabric in question wasn't made of polyester blends in my case. I'm no expert, and I don't claim to know what happened to your gi or what it's made of. You posted a photo and I commented because I've seen damage that looks just like that. Believe whatever you wish to believe; I was offering only my experience, not a definitive statement. As I said, I am sorry your gi is damaged and I hope you find a satisfactory resolution.

No harm no foul! lol Do you think the garment coating put on fabrics would last after a month of use and washings?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No harm no foul! lol Do you think the garment coating put on fabrics would last after a month of use and washings?

No, I don't. It usually washes off after the first washing. You had said it was your "brand new gi" so I thought perhaps this was the first time you had washed it. Sorry.

OP
Willard814

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, I don't. It usually washes off after the first washing. You had said it was your "brand new gi" so I thought perhaps this was the first time you had washed it. Sorry.

No worries! To me it's still brand new because it's spotless aside for the melted part. lol Would you buy another one if the company made it right and replaced the defective gi. I really like the fit of this gi! So I sent them an email stating that if they replace the gi I'll buy another one.

Mike Melillo

White Belt
Reaction score
The first thought that comes to mind are adding patches to a new gi... Did you, and if you did, were they ironed on? Could some of the glue from the process have melted to a spot by accident? Just a thought... I have a small spot like that near a patch I tacked on with crazy glue to stabilize it for when I sewed it on, where a drop of glue hit the cloth... Looks mighty similar.Mike

OP
Willard814

Willard814

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The first thought that comes to mind are adding patches to a new gi... Did you, and if you did, were they ironed on? Could some of the glue from the process have melted to a spot by accident? Just a thought... I have a small spot like that near a patch I tacked on with crazy glue to stabilize it for when I sewed it on, where a drop of glue hit the cloth... Looks mighty similar.Mike

It's not glue there is a part that melted right thru the fabric, besides I had my ISKF patch sewn on professionally.

RoninSoul

White Belt
Reaction score
Truly a mystery. I'd just keep it and use it as a work-out uniform..... it's not that bad. I've seen students that got silly with bleach and had holes in the uniform that looked much worse. If asked what happened to your gi I'd make up a story involving ninjas. Good luck. Namaste!