Judokas, Jiu Jitsu's, hybrid martial artists.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Please cut your nails before randori. Thank you.

PicsArt_07-30-01.35.04.jpg
PicsArt_07-30-01.35.26.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best treatment for that is to eat a teaspoon of cement and harden up princess.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those marks are nothing. When your opponent's fingers dig into your muscle under your upper arm, that bruise mark can last for several days. Old saying said, "If your opponent has shirt, grab his shirt. If he doesn't, grab his skin."

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those marks are nothing. When your opponent's fingers dig into your muscle under your upper arm, that bruise mark can last for several days. Old saying said, "If your opponent has shirt, grab his shirt. If he doesn't, grab his skin."

Thank you. The lesson I have learned here is to stop bitching. They did what they were supposed to do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long fingernails are unpleasant. I've left the mats with nasty bruising and scratches that weren't necessary. I figure we get enough annoying (and sometimes painful) damage from the stuff that's difficult to avoid, or just part of the technique (like "baby grabs" to the upper arm) - we don't need to add stuff that's easy to avoid.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't agree with those saying toughen up...yeah sure stuff happens in martial arts we know that but frankly not keeping your nails cut short when your grappling with someone is frankly just ignorant and lazy. It's just basic ettiquette to keep your finger nails and toe nails cut so that it doesn't cause any pointless injuries. What if someone's toe nail went across someone's eye brow and cuts them open...in striking styles you can get away with it a bit more but grappling when your grabbing and pulling and moving that close to each other there's no excuse I mean how long does it take to cut your nails not very long at all

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you. The lesson I have learned here is to stop bitching. They did what they were supposed to do.
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you said people have a responsibility to keep themselves in a proper way to train and it should be clearly known in any school that you should keep your nails short

Latest Discussions