Judo Gene Lebell

R

Ronin

Anyone ever workout with Judo gene? What a cool guy. I plan to work out with him in the near future. Any thoughts?

OP
K

Kyle

I would love to. He's got a ton of knowledge and skill. I've heard nothing but great things about him.

- Kyle

OP
T

The Prof

I have never met Gene LaBell. But I do know that he has been around for a very long time and is very well respected, especially as a grappler. Have a great time working out with him and consider it an honor.

OP
T

tmanifold

When Bruce Lee wanted to learn how to grapple he went to see Gene. That says something. I have read a couple of his books and I have learn a ton from them.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
tmanifold said:
When Bruce Lee wanted to learn how to grapple he went to see Gene. That says something. I have read a couple of his books and I have learn a ton from them.
When Bruce Lee got his butt dumped all over the set of the Green Hornet, it was by Gene LeBelle. When a well-recognized aikidon't guy was making movies, and being too hard on the stuntmen, he was punitively placed into an unconscious state by the Sensei, and had his head surrounded by broken pieces of his directors chair, courtesy of Gene Lebelle. One of the most hornery cusses alive.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
When Bruce Lee got his butt dumped all over the set of the Green Hornet, it was by Gene LeBelle. When a well-recognized aikidon't guy was making movies, and being too hard on the stuntmen, he was punitively placed into an unconscious state by the Sensei, and had his head surrounded by broken pieces of his directors chair, courtesy of Gene Lebelle. One of the most hornery cusses alive.
I heard that story about the Aikidon't guy too. Sounds like Mr. Labelle is definately a man totrain with.
kk

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Erik Paulson told a group of us that:

1. Working out with Gene hurt.

2. Gene makes noises come out of your body...out of different openings.

3. He's really good.

4. He kicked Steven Seagal's butt.

I'd love to meet him.

Regards,

Steve

OP
C

captnigh

The Judo Gene/Seagal story is awesome. I have heard several versions.

Anyone want to comment on which one is accurate?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
captnigh said:
The Judo Gene/Seagal story is awesome. I have heard several versions.

Anyone want to comment on which one is accurate?

I heard it from two totally different sources, both people being members of the Hollywood stuntman community. Both stories are basically the same.

Seagal was allegedly trashing (physically) his stuntmen, hitting them hard, throwing them hard, and hurting them. LeBell, who was a past president of the guild, went to Seagal and called him on it. Words were exchanged, and Seagal opened the festivities by kicking Gene in the groin.

LeBell ignored the kick, shot in and took Seagal's back. He then choked him out. Seagal lost control of his bladder, wetting his pants. He woke up, squared off, and asked LeBell if he'd like to try it again--which he did, successfully.

Regards,

Steve

OP
C

captnigh

hardheadjarhead said:
I heard it from two totally different sources, both people being members of the Hollywood stuntman community. Both stories are basically the same.

Seagal was allegedly trashing (physically) his stuntmen, hitting them hard, throwing them hard, and hurting them. LeBell, who was a past president of the guild, went to Seagal and called him on it. Words were exchanged, and Seagal opened the festivities by kicking Gene in the groin.

LeBell ignored the kick, shot in and took Seagal's back. He then choked him out. Seagal lost control of his bladder, wetting his pants. He woke up, squared off, and asked LeBell if he'd like to try it again--which he did, successfully.

Regards,

Steve
I read the same story, except that it started with Seagal standing around on-set claiming chokes didn't work on him because of his fantastically strong Ki. Judo Gene begged to differ, at which point the stories are the same. Gene got the choke, Seagal stopped him-said he wasn't ready- they did it again Seagal goes out and wets himself. Gene was quoted as saying "a man has got to know his limitations". I also heard Gene didn't care for Seagal because Seagal had a rep for being rough on stuntmen.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The version I heard on the Bruce Lee story was that basically, Bruce was again, being rough on stuntmen and so finally Gene basically picks him up in a fireman's carry and hauls him around the set for awhile. At one point Bruce says something like, "...put me down or I'll kill you." Gene ignores him and again, Bruce says put me down. Gene just tells him that, "I can't, you'd kill me" and proceeded to carry him around for awhile longer...

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure to train with Gene several times in the past 16 years. He's a walking encyclopedia of grappling and can stretch you more ways than you ever thought possible. Without a doubt, the Saturday night workouts at his cabin are my favorite martial arts memories.

Mark Barlow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Besides the Saturday night invitation only workouts at his cabin, I know he's usually at Gokor's dojo on Monday nights. Truthfully, I don't know of anyone who is in his league but he makes a point to train with the best he can find, Oleg Taktarov, Gokor, John Donahue and the Machados to name a few.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My teacher (high ranking judoka) has great respect for Gene Lebell. He once had a student who said she HATED the color pink, but knew Mr. Lebell to wear pink. So he had her wear a pink belt for month.

heh heh heh heh heh

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I just saw his new autobiography "The Godfather of Grappling" in the bookstore today:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0967654351/

A friend loaned me his copy of this book and I am about half-way through. Gene LeBell is also one of the funniest guys I've read. His self-deprecating sense of humor is refreshing, especially since he is so famous. I've woken up my wife several times laughing out loud while I've read this book.

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My buddy brought in his book that used to be called Pro Wrestling Finish Moves, or something like that...

Looked interesting...

Latest Discussions