JRE - Striking and BJJ

Well I think we'd all agree you need to be able to strike and grapple. We've all seen the videos of street fights where two guys are throwing wild punches and eventually someone gets clipped. The other scenario is the grappler closes the distance and gains control. Once takedown is achieved, the grappler can control what he wants to do.

You don't necessarily need to grapple if you can strike.

Because, the other other scenario is the person who actually knows how to strike properly controls the distance and strikes properly.

You don't have to grab someone and take them to the ground to have control of the situation.

Because, the other other scenario is the person who actually knows how to strike properly controls the distance and strikes properly.

You don't have to grab someone and take them to the ground to have control of the situation.

Because, not many strikers stand about swinging wildly in the hope one will eventually clip...

What do you think of this?

The counter to grappling is grappling.
The counter to strikiing is striking or grappling.

Just because 1 guy Taps doesn't mean everyone will....for example kimuras don't work on me. I'm not bragging they just simply don't. Even I'm drills when I'm not fighting back they don't work on me I don't feel them at all I've had my arm all the way up to my back and it's never worked. I've seen the same with people with arm bars and chokes. Sometimes it just doesn't work

Indeed, thats why you roll with multiple partners with multiple strengths and weaknesses, so when you encounter someone similar you'll know how to respond.

SleepingPuppy.jpg

Just felt like posting a cute photo. I do that from time to time.

Best way to control any situation. Run like hell situation controlled. It's hard to do that when grappling

Frankly I have yet to see any striker control the distance to the point they can keep a trained grappler at bay for an extended amount of time. The only way that happens is if the striker has extensively trained in take down defenses i.e. like Chuck Liddell (who was actually a wrestler who just liked to punch people).

Frankly I have yet to see any striker control the distance to the point they can keep a trained grappler at bay for an extended amount of time. The only way that happens is if the striker has extensively trained in take down defenses i.e. like Chuck Liddell (who was actually a wrestler who just liked to punch people).

No that happens if the striker understands proper distance

You do know this is about self defence not the ring? Extended amount of time? Real fights last about 30 seconds to a minute not 15 minutes with 1 minute break in between

You do know this is about self defence not the ring? Extended amount of time? Real fights last about 30 seconds to a minute not 15 minutes with 1 minute break in between

I was actually talking about self defense. The idea that a striker can just dance around a trained grappler and take pop shots until the latter gets knocked out is pure fantasy. Taped street fights bear that out, where the distance is closed and grappling range is reached almost every time (everything else is one-shot KOs).

I'd never want to be on the ground top or bottom. If I ever ended up on top I'd stand up then either run or neutralise him from my feet if he tries to get up

!00% agree there my friend ....and you make a good point ....people can neutralize a person without going to ground themselves

This is the closest thing I've seen in mma that resembles a street fight. This is how pretty much all street fights go notice the one desperate takedown the guy tried was easily blocked. That's the thing it's hard to hit that perfect takedown when getting smashed in the face multiple times.

No that happens if the striker understands proper distance

You can learn all the proper distance you want, if you don't know how to stop a standard takedown from a wrestler, you're going on your back.

And no, punching and kicking isn't going to get you out of that situation.

You can learn all the proper distance you want, if you don't know how to stop a standard takedown from a wrestler, you're going on your back.

how is that?

Sure about that?

Latest Discussions

Back