JKD/Shaolin Kempo (Southern IN - Louisville, KY) OR Kung Fu... Just looking for direction

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a little biased since I'm an instructor at Louisville Martial Arts Academy but it really is a good school with a great group of people there.

I teach the Sikal program there and wouldn't be teaching there if I didn't have an immense amount of respect for all the other instructors there. It's a very "family" type atmosphere. We have 5 different systems taught there and about 10 instructors who teach regularly (along with senior students who sometimes teach classes). I've been involved with the school for about 3 years and have seen very little friction among any of the instructors (it'd be virtually impossible for there to be none, eh) ... and what little I have seen was resolved quickly to everyone's satisfaction (and the friction originated purely in a lack of training space ... we're moving to a new location on May 4 and we'll have a lot more space).

3 or so years ago I was teaching in my garage. I had several students and was quite content (I had previously rented my own commercial space but the overhead killed me because I'm a much better instructor than business man). Anyway, one of the BJJ instructors from LMAA, Scott Smith, came to train in privates with me. After a couple of months he said, "You know, we're trying to diversify a bit. We've currently got Shaolin Kempo Karate and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu going. I think you'd be a great fit and I know there are some people at the school who'd be interested in what you do." I met with the school owners and decided to give it a try. It's 3 years later now and I am very pleased with my decision.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for but we do offer a variety of choices and, at least in my experience, the atmosphere of the school in general is top notch and the instructors are each very skilled in their particular disciplines.

Mike

Latest Discussions