Shaolin Kung Fu

U

upstanding_dragon

Hi all,

Apart from Wing Chun I'm very much inexperienced in Chinese arts.

Shaolin Kung Fu has always fascinated me, my questions are:

Is the kung fu taught in the actual Shaolin Temple, in the North of China, exactly the same as what is performed by the Shaolin Monks who tour on the wheel of life show.

Its just, I have read some books by Wong Kiew Kit, and his stuff seems different.

What is the curriculum of the actual Shaolin Temple?

Thank you

Stefan

http://www.networkofmartialarts.co.uk

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. The Wheel of Life show is just that... a show. Yes there's CMA in it, but it's mostly performance based stuff with not a whole lot of practical application.

Songshan Shaolin has roots firmly embedded in Lohan Quan, Hong Quan, Tong Bi Quan & others. They've recently created a 10 set core syllabus, similar to Ku Yu Chong's Bak Siu Lum 10 sets. First you learn those 10... then you can specialize in the different skills taught at Songshan. Shi Yongxin had lots to do with that. You can find them here... http://www.wle.com/store/v_monk.html

Wong Kiew Kit teaches some version of Hung Ga I haven't quite been able to place yet.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You rarely ever answer my questions without multiple reminders that questions have been asked & then when you do answer them, the answers are shakey & circular at best. So honestly... no I don't care to answer your question.

However I will answer it since you didn't ask the initial question in the thread. Shaolin martial arts are thriving today is systems like Luohan, Hong, Tongbi, Pao, Xinyi Liu He, Liu He, etc... in the north. In the south, they are doing quite well in systems like Bak Siu Lum, Choy Lee Fut, Hung Ga, Fut Ga, etc...

These systems have all maintained their core natures & training techniques. The Cultural Revolution didn't damage them sufficiently enough to cause their extinction or force their inner techniques to become what's now "Modern Wushu". They all contributed to the creation of "modern wushu" because of their qualities (age, characteristics, techniques, etc...) but they were left as they are. You see wushu in them because wushu was derived from them.

So yes... Shaolin martial arts still exists today.

Latest Discussions