JKD principle I thought I understood...but actually didn't

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you are on the brim of fire(fighting Measure).... You have to step in to perform your lateral strikes. Maintaining proper distance makes you step in... which gives me time to intercept....or evade and counter. If you are inside.... Then the JKD person is left with intercepting. Straight line attacks have less distance to travel. Hence they are faster given if both opponents has the same speed. The quickest path between two points is straight. Sometimes that line is covered so you have to go lateral like you are saying.

So summary. If I am on the brim of fire.... and aware and not sleeping... You need to attack to hit me.... I intercept... or evade and counter. Inside.... I have to intercept. Esp. if I am tooo deep.

Take two people standing face to face. same hand speed. One throws a hook... one throws a straight punch. Both launch at the same time... Who lands first? Of course this doesn't always happen. But it shows how a person with slower hands can stop hit someone throwing a hook.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are on the brim of fire(fighting Measure).... You have to step in to perform your lateral strikes. Maintaining proper distance makes you step in... which gives me time to intercept....or evade and counter. If you are inside.... Then the JKD person is left with intercepting. Straight line attacks have less distance to travel. Hence they are faster given if both opponents has the same speed. The quickest path between two points is straight. Sometimes that line is covered so you have to go lateral like you are saying.

So summary. If I am on the brim of fire.... and aware and not sleeping... You need to attack to hit me.... I intercept... or evade and counter. Inside.... I have to intercept. Esp. if I am tooo deep.

Take two people standing face to face. same hand speed. One throws a hook... one throws a straight punch. Both launch at the same time... Who lands first? Of course this doesn't always happen. But it shows how a person with slower hands can stop hit someone throwing a hook.
I understand what you say. But what if I step in while doing a straight (feint/fake-)attack (the usual)? Also, sometimes kicks don't require step in.

I would like to run some tactical experiments... Thank you for your answers, but I feel like I am learning swimming by a book. I need a swimming pool! :)

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree that the hand can be the closest target, such as an instance when you trap or parry using the lead side. But the premise of longest weapon for the closest target goes beyond targeting the hand of an opponent. For example a snap kick to the jimmy johns, I'm using my lead side which provides the longest reach while still providing me with the best protection. In my understanding this is the point within the logic behind the longest weapon for the closest target.

But you can actually attack the hand, as @drop bear said "defang the snake". Example against a larger opponent (and I do put this into practice at work) I will sometimes try to use covers that put the elbow at front and center. If he punches the elbow it can well break his fingers. Once, because I was knee deep in it and out of options I basically used my forehead to head butt a punch, that did break the guys hand. I am also a big fan, again against a stronger opponent, of not simply trapping the hand but going for small joint control. He wants to keep fighting he will have some dislocated digits that will definitely reduce his effectiveness.

My understanding of JKD jives with what you are saying, that it goes beyond attacking the hand but you can, literally, attack the hand. In FMA we call it gunting if we are using strikes

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you can actually attack the hand, as @drop bear said "defang the snake". Example against a larger opponent (and I do put this into practice at work) I will sometimes try to use covers that put the elbow at front and center. If he punches the elbow it can well break his fingers. Once, because I was knee deep in it and out of options I basically used my forehead to head butt a punch, that did break the guys hand. I am also a big fan, again against a stronger opponent, of not simply trapping the hand but going for small joint control. He wants to keep fighting he will have some dislocated digits that will definitely reduce his effectiveness.

My understanding of JKD jives with what you are saying, that it goes beyond attacking the hand but you can, literally, attack the hand. In FMA we call it gunting if we are using strikes
I don't know what they call it with a knife, flicking, I suppose, but you are supposed to flick a little piece of flesh, into their eyes. :cool:

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know what they call it with a knife, flicking, I suppose, but you are supposed to flick a little piece of flesh, into their eyes. :cool:

Hmmm when we do the knife fighting we just get trained to do compressions cuts to the inside of the forearm/wrist and then with that opening stab em between the ribs and/or inner thigh. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm when we do the knife fighting we just get trained to do compressions cuts to the inside of the forearm/wrist and then with that opening stab em between the ribs and/or inner thigh. ;)
The idea is to make them run away before it get's to that point.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The idea is to make them run away before it get's to that point.

Ahh, lol. The way we train is that you shouldn't be using the knife unless already confronted by an armed subject. In that circumstance you pretty much have to go all in to make through to the other side. There isn't a lot of margin for error when facing an armed assailant and hoping something will make them change their mind and run can go sideways quickly. Now I am not sure if that is how Guro Dan Inosanto would teach it, going to one of his seminars in April so maybe I'll get an idea then, but that's how it gets taught to me.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh, lol. The way we train is that you shouldn't be using the knife unless already confronted by an armed subject. In that circumstance you pretty much have to go all in to make through to the other side. There isn't a lot of margin for error when facing an armed assailant and hoping something will make them change their mind and run can go sideways quickly.
I'm sure that is true, but I am sure there was a call for restraint, when I was taught that lesson; so, I wouldn't get any crazy ideas. o_O

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure that is true, but I am sure there was a call for restraint, when I was taught that lesson; so, I wouldn't get any crazy ideas. o_O

Oh edited my post to include whether or not my Sifu/Guro is simply giving his own take vs what Guro Dan would say.

Last edited:

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Paul vunak who does jkd from a dan inosanto does a lot of gunting from the Fma.
Dan did Fma before ever meeting Bruce lee. Dan put Fma into his jkd.

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ahh, lol. The way we train is that you shouldn't be using the knife unless already confronted by an armed subject. In that circumstance you pretty much have to go all in to make through to the other side. There isn't a lot of margin for error when facing an armed assailant and hoping something will make them change their mind and run can go sideways quickly. Now I am not sure if that is how Guro Dan Inosanto would teach it, going to one of his seminars in April so maybe I'll get an idea then, but that's how it gets taught to me.

Where is Guro dan going to be at? I would love to go myself. I have been to some in the past. I always here of them after they happen.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where is Guro dan going to be at? I would love to go myself. I have been to some in the past. I always here of them after they happen.
Newport News Va, in April. Funny you mentioned Paul Vunak, that is actually part of the way I come to Kali. Guro Dan > Paul Vunak > James Keating > My Guro

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. That might be out of my traveling distance. Although I plan on attending one in NYC area and possibly one out in Western NY.
I have never trained with Paul Vunak. Although I have studied a ton of his videos. I have had the opportunity to train with Chris Kent. Someone that I thought did an awesome job teaching. Definitely someone to train with if you have the chance.