Jiyu Kumite or Free Sparring

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my place we do not do full contact at all.

We are allowed to kick the upper leg ( thig ) but only outside even without protectors, we are allowed to kick and punch to the head, but prefered to hit the protectors, we are allowed to kick to the torso. But all is more semi-contact. If you go full-rage on your opponent you get a warning usually. We do not use knees,elbows.

It's taekwondo ITF style I am doing, but I miss the full-contact days. In my spare time outside the dojang, I usually train fullcontact without any rules.
I hear you, to be honest, I have always preferred clubs where it is much more contact focused, that's just me. As a result **** happens and I have been trashed pretty heavily in sparring at my old club which has been pretty much tournament intensity. But I have no issue with that, I like it. The thing is not to be a douche and to be able to tailor your own intensity to the level wanted by the person (be they less experienced or senior to you) you are facing off against in the club. Some very skilled fighters don't like getting their faces - - - - up out of a tournament and they are probably the smart ones.

There are always idiots out there, in fact I have a bit of a rant as a mate of mine was sparring in the ring with a female fighter and she kept hitting him with inside leg attacks after the bell, it was blatant and she did it every round, I don't know why people think they need to be like that. On the fourth go he was furious and did a round house back fist and caught her with enough to make her hit the floor, I can't say I condone that against a sheila but she didn't get any of my sympathy either.

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hear you, to be honest, I have always preferred clubs where it is much more contact focused, that's just me. As a result **** happens and I have been trashed pretty heavily in sparring at my old club which has been pretty much tournament intensity. But I have no issue with that, I like it. The thing is not to be a douche and to be able to tailor your own intensity to the level wanted by the person (be they less experienced or senior to you) you are facing off against in the club. Some very skilled fighters don't like getting their faces - - - - up out of a tournament and they are probably the smart ones.

I personally think it always depends from the persons motivation. Some people might do taekwondo just to stay fit, some people want to learn some real fighting, some maybe are just interested in to the traditions, some are maybe a mixture of all of it.

I would even go this far, a martial art can't teach you how to fight properly, if there is not at least some light contact in sparring. I remember the old days when doing kickboxing, I was the new guy and everyone there did it since like 10-15 years, so I was getting my *** beaten and I still remember the pain... but on the other hand, I also remember that I've learnt much faster and felt much more confident back then when doing full-contact. That's just how I experience it. I really like my club, and I also know that everyone has it's own power he wants, so somebody who totally can't deal with some hard strikes or kicks, does not get hard strikes and kicks, but somebody who want it a bit harder ,get it a bit harder. We are just respecting each other this way.

But that's just my personal view.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the fourth go he was furious and did a round house back fist and caught her with enough to make her hit the floor, I can't say I condone that against a sheila but she didn't get any of my sympathy either.

Hey I'd hit a Sheila in a comp quite happily ;)

Latest Discussions