Jiapsul Taekwondo

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pressure points, correct? If so, no. They aren't consistent enough IMHO, I prefer joint locks.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are talking about pressure points Id say "sort of". We do muck around with them a bit as a black belt. Some of the old korean guys in the club are acupuncturists and have quite a bit of interest in them and at club camps or seminars we will experiment a bit. Its not part of our curriculum, but most black belts in our club know a little bit about them. The 6th dans and above know a bit more.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Question for Taekwondoin:

Do you practice or teach jiapsul?
We do not do Dillman type stuff (for reasons I'd rather not get into) but we do try to point out hitting vital points when practicing hosinsul or striking a person in a counter.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally practice pressure point/vital point techniques. A small subset is taught. I'd like to see us teach more, but it's up to Sabumnim.

Just as an aside, I was taught that pressure point techniques as a group are called hyel do sul, not jiapsul. Can someone with a better grasp of Korean expand on the terminology?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Vital points such as liver strikes and throat strikes, we do absolutely use. Pressure points, no.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, but not really within the context of TKD. The older kata from karate contain signposts on usage of vital points to augment your strikes and joint locks if you know how to read those. For the record, my own knowledge and even that of my teacher's is incomplete in this aspect, and it's hard to fill in the gaps. The problem is that this stuff is so fragmented and undocumented. You don't know who has the real goods - people who know really don't talk about it at all and the people who WILL talk about it are sometimes lacking in key aspects of execution and experience.

Latest Discussions