Jean Claude Van-Damme article

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
VanDamme is an MA cultural icon, much as Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris. Dolph Lundgren never became an icon like VanDamme, and sadly, Brandon Lee never had the chance. I say MA cultural icon, as opposed to an MA icon; Bill Wallace is an MA icon, but outside of MA, nobody has heard of him.

As a cultural icon, VanDamme promoted the martial arts every time he did a movie simply by being VanDamme, apart from any active promotion of MA that he did, much as Schwarzenegger promotes body building every time he does a movie, simply because he's Schwarzenegger.

I have no opinion of him personally: he's a great fighter and his martial performances on screen are fantastic, though I don't generally care for a lot his movies as movies.

Daniel

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
VanDamme has done a lot to bring interest to the Martial arts. He just is a little screwy. He is European, and they look at things a little differently.
I have heard that recently he has began focusing on traditional karate training again like when he was young. His movies are not great, but I enjoyed several of them anyway. The worst had to be his first (no retreat,no surrender).

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind some of his movies however he thought pretty highly of himself and was a comedian too. I read an interview once where he compared Legionnaire with Lawrence of Arabia. Man I laughed and laughed!!!!

He has no doubt had an impact though, Bloodsport was a cult hit when I was growing up.

Cheers
Sam
:asian: